Turkey Trot Blog Hop Day 1: Thankful Wreaths


Hello!  It's turkey time!
I'd like to invite you to take a little break from the
house cleaning, the menu-making and the grocery
shopping.  All that Turkey Day work can wait just a
bit longer while you settle in with a cuppa and enjoy
Day One of the Turkey Trot Blog Hop!


I have a fun quilty project for you to gobble up that
will have you tearing through your scraps.
But that's just one dish in the buffet.
Make sure you check out the other Turkey Trot
bloggers at the end of this post for more fun!
 

This time of year I'm really drawn to scrappy quilts.


I'm sure it's all of those colors!


I love pulling my first garlic knot quilt out every fall 
It's so full of fun fabric combos that it makes me
smile everytime I walk into our room.

It's always made me want to give it another go, too,
especially since this one is a tad bit small.

Thankful Wreaths

I decided to tackle it this year and I now have
a bigger one almost ready to go.


The top measures 91 X 111; even though it'll shrink a bit
with quilting (and washing), it should still fit nicely.

A friend showed me how to construct this block years ago so
there is not a tutorial to share but if you'd like to try them out,
I can at least give you a few instructional pics and the
measurements.  They're very simple and easy to pick up!

*For my queen sized quilt, I estimated that I used
approximately 3 to 4 yards of background fabric.

*For the colors, I just pulled from my scraps and my stash.

From the background fabric you'll need 2" strips and
3 1/2" strips; from the colors, you'll only need 2" strips.


Sew up the above A and B strip sections as shown.



Cut each strip set into 2-inch sections.
Lay out two A sections and two B sections exactly
as shown above; sew together. 
Follow this exact placement for all blocks to ensure
that when you rotate them, they will all meet up.


Completed block (6.5" unfinished).
**Update:  a reader commented she went with 2.5" strips which 
reminded me I meant to say that you could certainly make these
any size.  It would be a great way to use up orphan jelly strips!



Just like log cabin blocks, the garlic knots have multiple
layout options.  Above is my design wall as I built my wreaths   
but play around a bit to see what your favorite is.

I'd love to meet you back here next week when I share my
completed Thankful Wreaths on the Tuesday To Do Linkup!
(Provided I find a backing!)
Happy quilting!


Comments

Raewyn said…
Well done on your wreath quilt...it looks good so thank you for the mini tutorial. It looks like a great use of scraps. Plus I didn't realise that there were multiple settings of the knot block.
Linda said…
I love your garlic knots! That is a neat block, and the construction looks pretty doable. My points might not be quite as accurate as yours look! :D
Carol said…
I really like your quilts! The garlic knot is a pattern that is new to me. Thanks for sharing the instructions for it!
Calicojoan said…
Oh you have my attention. I love a good stash buster quilt and this one looks like a lot of fun. You quilt speaks fall to me...my favorite time of the year! Thanks for sharing how to do this!
Carol Swift said…
It's amazing how that one block can create such an amazing quilt. I love it! The fabrics you used make this look so warm and ready to snuggle in. Thank you for sharing how to make the block. It's definitely going to be on my list to use up some of those many fabrics in my stash. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt!
LJ said…
Both of your quilts are lovely. I love that block and thank you for the little tut. BTW, the colors are wonderful, too.
Sara said…
Your garlic knot quilt is stunning!! I like your strip technique for making these blocks. Seems like I always forget to do strip sets for blocks like these.
I have always wanted to know a trick for a quick garlic knots block, so thanks for that, Cheree! I like the wreath layout, too. Both quilts are beautiful, and definitely perfect for this time of year!
Kate said…
You definitely nailed the colors for the season. I've seen the block, but never considered how they would work together in a quilt. Very cool design.
Joansy said…
What a beautiful quilt! Thank you so much for sharing the instructions. I saved them and will try making a table runner using your tutorial. You did an outstanding job on both of your quilts! Happy Thanksgiving!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Oh, this is lovely and so worth the wait to see it! Gosh, your original version looks beautiful on your bed but I can understand the desire to have one slightly bigger, especially now that the weather is turning chilly. Nice job and thanks for the tutorial on the block. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
Karrin Hurd said…
Gorgeous quilts, thanks so much for sharing the instructions.
Danette said…
Such beautiful quilts! And thank you for the little tutorial for the wreath.
Quilting Gail said…
Your garlic knots quilt(s) are beautiful!!!
Just an FYI: Bonnie Hunter first published this in an Addicted to Scraps column in 2014 Quiltmaker magazine.

Quilting Gail
What a wonderful tutorial. Jumped right over to EQ and designed one so I wouldn't forget your inspiration. I will prompt you when it comes to tips and tutes this month....this is perfect for it!
Needled Mom said…
I love it in the autumn colors. It’s such a great and easy design.
Charlene McCain said…
Your quilts are beautiful! Such beautiful colors. Thank you for the tutorial.
Sharon said…
Your scrappy quilts are very pretty! Thanks for sharing.
Your garlic knots quilt is stunning!
tink's mom said…
What a wonderful tribute to fall. Your scrappy/stash choices are perfect for the season. Thanks so much for the tutorial that I'm sure I'll be using in the coming year.
Love your Garlic Knots quilt, perfect colors for fall!
Bernie Kringel said…
I love this! Gorgeous colors, a great pattern, easy construction - this is my kind of quilt!!
Happy Thanksgiving Cheree.