Tuesday ToDo #32: Sweater Weather and Simply Pumpkin


Well, with a title like that it's clear I have fall on the brain.
After hitting 109' (ack!) last week, we finally got a reprieve.
Along came a couple of much-needed rainy mornings
that also brought temps in the 80's.  Why can't summer
stay like this?   Yes, fall is on my brain--but I'm not
ready for coats and such.  Just sweaters!

But first, it's Tuesday again so welcome to my day of
sharing progress and declaring goals.  Sometimes these days
are also spotted with procrastination and setbacks but
that's okay.  Those are part of the patterns and stitches
that make up our quilty life, right?

So grab a cuppa (coffee, tea, bourbon--you do you!)
and join me and the others over at Quilt Schmilt's
Tuesday To-Do and Melva's Sew & Tell link up parties 
and let's talk about what's going on in our quilty lives.

Now, about those sweaters...

* * * Week 31 Priority * * *
Finish Sweater Weather top
Done!


I added a border of background fabric and I think I'll call
it a finish--top that is. A blue binding should finish it off.


The backing is pieced and the batting is airing so it
should go on the longarm in the next day or two,

2) Find border fabric and finish Fair Isle Friends
Not done.
I have a short road trip coming up that will put me in the
vicinity of a large quilt shop so I'm waiting for that.

3) Start next quilt:  DONE.


The first time I made Hocus Pocus (by The Pattern Basket),
I used the suggested fabrics but this time I went scrappy:


I'm calling this one Simply Pumpkin, and I'm loving
the colors; sadly, they look rather drab in this pic.
(The two extra pumpkins are for on the back.)

4) Start fall decorating


DONE.
I brought out a few things here and there.


And I stocked up on my Wallflower faves at B&B Works.
It now smells fantabulous in my home.


With all of those pumpkins growing out in the garden,
I'm really enjoying flipping through this cookbook that
I found in Sleepy Hollow, NY.
Pretty cool place to pick up a pumpkin cookbook, huh?  

On to other things...
It's been a long time since I did a fabric tracking check so I
want to do that today even though it's a bit embarrassing:

Fabric purchased in 2023:  273 yds
(HOW!?!?!)
Fabric Used in 2023:   169 yds
Difference:  104 yds

Note that probably 95% of what I've purchased has been
clearance or major sales to boost my backing/background
 stash so I'm not so concerned about it, especially since I'm
clearly using it.  But I still need that Fabric Used to be greater
than Fabric Purchased.  Guess I'd better keep kicking out the
quilts while NOT looking at sales.
Only 2 months until Shop Hop so time to close that gap!


On the garden scene, remember how I mentioned the vine borers
would be attacking the pumpkins and gourds any day?  Well,
that was actually the day.  But I'm on it.  Injecting BT is the
most ingenious idea ever.  With that and some very welcome
rain this weekend, I believe my fall porch decor is coming along
 nicely, even if there are still some grasshoppers and
squash bugs hanging out.  I'm working on those, too.  


Blooms and fruit are appearing among the healthy, thriving vines.

Looking to next week, I have a few things that will curb the quilt
progress:  installation of new windows in our bedroom and a
deck door in our kitchen and a short road trip but I should be
able to make some progress on at least some of this:

* * * Week 33 Priority * * *
Finish Simply Pumpkin top & backing

2) Quilt Sweater Weather (& finish?)

3) Finish Fair Isle Friends top & backing

 I'll cover the road trip next time but it will include a trip
to a large, notable quilt shop so hopefully I'll have some
 fun pics to share next Tuesday.

Have a lovely week and happy quilting!

Comments

grammajudyb said…
I mentioned before that Fall is a favorite season, but no fall decorating here yet! I’m just not ready! I haven’t even had a chance to wear new white capris. Do I have to follow “No White After Labor Day”? If so, I have less than a month! Yikes! Looking forward to seeing your front porch photos! Hocus Pocus is a favorite! I should purchase that pattern! Enjoy your road trip!
Those Simply Pumpkin blocks are so much fun! They look great in scrappy form!
Melva said…
Thise scrappy pumpkins are the best! Thanks for joining Sew and Tell.
Linda said…
I saw your IG post about golf and reminded me I need to catch up on your blog! I love both your versions of Simply Pumpkins. It has always been on my list to make it again, but now Margot has a new version of it called Pumpkin Harvest. It has some interest on the rows between the pumpkins. Of course I bought it - lol! I really do intend to make this one for me. I can't wait to see your "real" pumpkin patch!
Sharon - IN said…
Your Simply Pumpkin quilt has turned out adorable! No Fall decorating here. But I did manage to add 31 more yards of fabric to my stash. That's what happens when sadly a LQS goes out of business and offers fabric at 3$ per yard.
Kate said…
The rainy mornings have been nice. Love the pumpkin quilt. I'm planning a Halloween themed cat quilt for Grad Girl, so I've been looking at lots of fall fabrics too. Good luck with the stash numbers. I'm in the same boat with you, lots of sale purchases and not enough stitching. Good luck closing the gap.
Bonnie said…
ARGH! Fall? Really. It's still hot and humid here. It's hard to think that fall is even around the corner. (However it hasn't stopped me working on some wooden pumpkins.) I have totally blown off fabric in and out this year. Which is irritating on one hand since I've kept the numbers for years and years. Maybe one day I'll figure it all out... assuming I've kept info on the quilts I've finished. I may have done ok on fabric coming into the house. You've got 3 and a half months to use some more fabric... but good luck on trying not to buy!
I hope it wasn't too hot when your windows were replaced.