Tuesday To-Do #22: Two-For-Tuesday and An RX for No Sewing?

It's the last Tuesday in July!
Hoorah!
It's been a little rough around here and
I'm really ready for a new month.

First, let's join in the others over at
Texas Quilt Gal's Tuesday To Do link up
and then we'll see how my week went...
I mean, despite little mishaps and such.
Check this stuff out:
  
1) Load Spring Dresden and quilt.
DONE!


I think this is my favorite of the nine.
It is so darned cheery!


If I hadn't already made up a label with Spring Dresden
on it, I would have named it A Bowl Full of Cherries.
(The backing and binding is all cherries.)
Still kind of regretting not remaking that label...


2) Bind and label Winter Woodland
DONE!


I didn't get many pics of this one.
And remember, some nice day I'm going to be doing
a photo shoot with all of them and then I think I'll
post a virtual trunk show so you all can see what
they really look like.

3) Make HST blocks for Waves
4) Make leaf blocks for fall quilt 
No progress on either of these.  See the
"What did I do?" in my golf section below.

On to other things, I have another garden-fresh recipe.
I always try to get the most use out of our produce
while its fresh and full of vitamins so our current menu
is focused on tomatoes, peppers, onions and carrots.

This recipe for Maple Glazed Carrots is so, so good with
home-grown carrots (taste nothing like the store's).


I cut back quite a bit on most of the ingredients because
in my mind, that's how you can still taste the carrots.
(Otherwise, that's a whole lotta butter, syrup and sugar!)


The important thing is to saute them up hot in butter
so they get a nice outer coating on them and then do
the thing.  I toss the oregano sprigs in while they cook
to give it a small touch of that flavor.  In the pic above
 I used thyme just to switch things up a bit.  We like our
veggies crisp-tender so I cut the time in about half.
Cutting them into "coins" switches things up, too.


In the golf part of my world, these two babies are finally
part of my bag.   For some reason, the wedge took a couple
months to show up (?); the other is my "heavenwood" which,
thankfully, came within a week.  It's a toss-up what I'll be
working on next.  Hybrid or putter.  Hubs is pushing for the
putter; I'm leaning that way too...once I can play again.

What did I do?
The short story is I slipped down a few stairs and my back
(with my full weight on it) landed on the "point" of a step.
A couple days later I tried to golf anyway
(because really, I was just very sore where I fell)
but hobbled off early in the round when one
particular swing took it all out of me.  I've been in a
world of hurt since, wincing and shuffling around like
a 90-year old woman.  I can take pain but I hate
not being able to do the things I need/want to do.

I've since learned it's a slipped/bulging disc.
With a history degenerative back issues (surgery & hardware),
this ain't my first rodeo and you can be very sure I'll be doing
every exercise prescribed to stay off that operating table.
I just wanted to explain why I'm not supposed to sit
for any length of time...as in, no sewing.
(Need I add that standing hurts my other back issues?!)
Will I squeeze a little here and there?
Probably so.  And when I do sit, I'm supposed to do my
exercise (currently only one) every time I get back up,
along with every hour on the hour so you
can see very little will get done.
Such is life, eh?  I will make out my list and go on!

1) Quilt Christmas Grace; finish?
Finishing requires sewing on binding.  We'll see.

2) Maybe progress on other two projects?

As my mother would always say: 
We should never take our health for granted!
And I'd like to add:
Once you hit 50, start hanging on to stair rails!

Hopefully things are cheerier next time!
Happy quilting!

Comments

Linda said…
Gosh my Mom used to say the very same thing. Ugh I'm sorry about your mishap, sounds painful, and I hope you are able to recover as quickly as that kind of injury will allow. Does that also mean no golf?
Spring Dresden and Winter Wonderland are both so pretty - hard to choose a favorite. A virtual trunk show of yours would be wonderful. Have you ever considered a photo shoot on the golf course? I guess the players might object to that. ;) Surprisingly my veggie-hating husband loves carrots raw or cooked, so I'll give that recipe a try!
Take care and thank you for joining us at To Do Tuesday!
piecefulwendy said…
Your dresden quilt is so happy and cheery! I'd change the label if you really want to! That veggie dish looks so good!
Oh no, so sorry to hear about your injury, Cheree! No golf or sewing = no fun... Hope you heal quickly and the exercises help. Meanwhile the Dresden quilt is just awesome! I really love it!
sorry for the back injury that really sucks - hope the exercises will help and ho will be back to what you enjoy soon. Love the quilts
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Oh, my goodness, those carrots look delicious. I love carrots and fresh ones straight from the garden are tops. It makes my mouth water just looking at your photos. YUM! Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your fall and back. Seriously?! You thought it was a good idea to hit a few. I agree with your comment about the railing but I kind of hover over it. It's good for balance to not need it, but when you do need it, you have to be close! The Dresden quilt turned out so beautiful. I love the name but A Bowl Full of Cherries is fun, too. Please try to take care of yourself - I know you are. {{Hugs}} a bunch but only the non-back-hurting kind. ~smile~ Roseanne
Sharon Kwilter said…
Congratulations on the finishes! Wow, two in a week. Good job.
Carolyn said…
Your Dresden plate quilt is beautiful! Gee, I hope your back is better soon. It’s no fun not being able to do the things we want to do.