I Like Thursday #11 and New Year's Eve

 Hello and Merry Christmas!
With all the merry-making, it has been hard to
squeeze in much blog time.  And by merry-making,
I really mean just enjoying time with family, cooking
nice meals and laying around.  That probably doesn't
fit the definition of merry-making but it sounds
like a grand ol' time to me!

Here are a few likes that came up over the last week:


I say all the time how much I like snow.  Here is an
unpredicted snow that we got a couple days before
Christmas.  I was happily working away at my longarm
when I looked up and it was snowing like mad...
and then it stopped....and then flurries and then mad
snowing and then sun...and then mad snowing...
and on it went.  I finally snapped a pic of it blowing
around in the sky as the sun was starting to set.
I can't tell you how much I hope for a white Christmas
every year and it just rarely seems to happen.
This was as close as we got this year and I'm grateful
for that much....I guess.  LOL.



I love this striped fabric I just found on clearance.
Stripes and plaids make the best bindings.
What's really likeable is that I ended up needing
some just a day later on my Peppermint Pines
quilt.  A finish--yay!


I like a well-timed Christmas finish--just in time
to surprise a friend on Christmas Eve!
I like surprising people on Christmas.


I like sharing special family recipes.
My mom used to really hesitate before sharing
those really yummy ones because in her mind,
the more popular they become, the less special
they are.  I get that, I really do.  But I also feel that
when someone does choose to share a family recipe,
they share a part of themselves--their childhood, their
memories, etc.  It is a little similar to why I love to try
regional foods when traveling.  You just learn about
the people a little more that way; you experience
their way of life a little more deeply.
I will try almost any food because of this.


I like that my husband loves to fix me drinks.
Enough said there.  (Eggnog martini, btw.)


I like how this Mickey's Clubhouse turned out for
our grandkids.  I totally winged it!  It's like a 
"sheet fort" that is special made to fit over
their dining table, complete with clear vinyl
windows on the sides.
Another Christmas surprise!


I like finishing all of my projects up in December so
that in the new year I get to start with a clean slate.


Usually, I can pull this off but this year I have
three UFO's that are still hanging on.  They are
on the list for 2021, tho--sooner rather than later!
The above quilt rolled off yesterday and my pumpkin
patch quilt is now loaded and ready for today.
Who works on a pumpkin quilt on New Year's Eve?
Well...I do.
I'll be getting it finished, too.  Honest!


I like letting bread dough raise by a warm fire.
That's old-school, baby!


I came up with a great end-of-the-year activity
that I think I'm going to turn into a tradition.
In trying to finish up "open" things, I pulled out all
of the trimmings that I felt compelled to save over
the last few years.  You know the triangle sets that
just need sewn up to be HST's?  Sometimes I toss
them but a lot of times, I don't.  It depends on how
much I'm enjoying the project I suspect.


I have had eight sets of trimmings set aside that
I am trying to get done while watching whatever
everyone else chooses to watch.  I'm not that into tv
so I usually just go with it....and then sew.
It hit me:  what a great thing to do at the end
of every year!  I don't know what I'm going to make
with them yet but they'll all be sewn up, pressed
and trimmed--ready to make some "cool stuff",
as I always say about them, on a rainy day.
(Or snowy day.  Really prefer it to be a snowy one.)


We all like soup, don't we?
I especially love it with our homemade
broth from our own chickens.  And herbs
and veggies from our garden, too.  That's
pretty old school too but not so old that
 it's very rare.  I like that there are so many out
there that really appreciate the value of these
things, and don't mind doing the work involved.
I get it:  sometimes we have time for that sort
of thing, and sometimes we don't.  It's just cool
when it all comes together at the right time...
in a soup.

Again, merry Christmas and best of wishes 
to you and yours in the new year.
Happy quilting!

Linking up to:  

Comments

grammajudyb said…
Peppermint striped binding on a Christmas finish....priceless!
chrisknits said…
Everything is a wonderful thing to love! But snow? I'll pass. Up to the last few years I would have said YES!! But now, I like it less and less. But 1 good day of tubing and I just might change my mind. After hip replacements they advise no skiing, so it's tubing from now on for me.
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! I love that idea of sewing up the leftover trimmings at the end of the year, all ready to become a new cool project in the new year! You didn't share a recipe, did you? Those cranberries look yummy - I adore everything cranberry. And that martini looks even better. We got your snow - six inches when it ended Wednesday morning. Happy New Year! Here's to a fabulous 2021. ~smile~ Roseanne
Great likes as always. I have a shoebox full of HST that I have trimmed up and trimmed down. I a trying to get better as I finish a project trim up the scraps into some sort of scrap system. The clubhouse is fabulous, and your peppermint trees quilt is gorgeous, love the binding. Happy New Year!
I forgot to mention the great striped binding on the Peppermint Tree quilt. Perfect!