Tuesday To-Do Catch-Up: Scattered and Sewn Finish.

With a major project completed, I decided to catch up
on some other things around here.   As a result of that,
I kinda skipped last week's to-do check-in but here I am
with a big finish!



#1) Completely finish Scattered & Sewn.
I was sewing away on my latest project last evening when
I realized the only finish-pic I had was the one of it coming
off of the long arm--and technically not finished.



Hey, just in case anyone wants to question if this is
actually me blogging here, these photos should serve
as my certificates of authenticity.  Why is that?
Because the lighting is so bad!
It's practically my signature.
 My timing is the worst for taking photos.
I ran outside just in time to catch....


...some nice quilting shadows.
Actually that one still looks kinda neat.

Let's try by the pool...


Too dark.
The swim towel piled in the background
adds a nice touch, don't you think?


So I tried again this morning.


Scattered & Sewn
87x105


 I think most of our quilts end up being fairly personal but
there are always some that stand out more than others.
For me, this quilt is another one of those.


One simple reason is that there is just a lot of my own
designing and decisions put into it.  There have also
been various outside obstacles to overcome. 


 I won't get into that but you know what?
Sometimes there is just more than a hobby going on here.
Sometimes it's a special gift, sometimes it is for charity.
Sometimes it's for working through a problem.
Sometimes it's just for purpose, to do something of our own.

There can be so many good reasons behind quilting.
If there is someone else out there who needs to hear this:
Whatever purposes of our quilt-making exist, as long as
it does not take away from our first obligations
(husband, home, whatever--you know what they are)
it is important and it is what we are meant to do.
I don't think this is very obvious to others.
In fact, it's not always obvious to ourselves.
And maybe others don't need to know this
but I think it's important that we constantly
remind ourselves.
Consider yourself reminded.

2) Farmer's Wife Blocks
Um, well, I finally just put it aside.  But not away!
(she was quick to hastily add!)
That's the Golden Quilting Rule in my sewing room.
Never put projects away--that's how they become UFO's.
It's still out.  I still have it down to finish this year
but right now I just don't have the time for it.

Setting that aside, I went right into #3 and immediately
it became apparent that I made the right decision.
I started getting excited about all of it
It began to seem fun again so it's likely I just avoided
one of those dreaded quilting slumps.
Bravo.


It sure didn't hurt that right about this time an order of
fabric arrived at my front door.  Oh there is nothing
like new fabric to up one's motivation!
Clearance goodies.
(Yep, jelly rolls--the only precut I like)
Materialistic?  Sure, I suppose I am <wink>.

#3) Start on next quilt



 Pulled all fabric options and...



...made a trial star.
Not a big fan of how I fussy-cut that middle fabric
but it's the only thing I could work out.
I'll keep looking for options there but the fabric I've
chosen for the log cabin block fits much better.
I'll have more to show on this next week.
I have a plan but I'm also kinda winging it.
Calling it the "West Point Throw Quilt" for now.


#4) Re-cover my yucky ironing board.
This is like the 5th time or something but it's fun
getting a new one every so often.


Got it done.  How cute is that fabric?!?

#5) Getting some sleep was the last thing on my
list.  It has been better so we'll call that done, too.

Next week's to-do's:

1) Work on West Point Throw
I want to power through this so it's a priority.
The goal is to get all the star blocks done;
the bonus will be the log cabins.
Along with perhaps some table runners so....

2) Start on table runner(s)

And that's it for me.  Just to focus on those,
and the garden.  And seeing our cadet off
as he heads back up to West Point.
Things are going back to "normal" around here
and that will take a little getting used to.  Again.



Produce everywhere and all the herbs a chef
(and chickens!) could ever want.
We're blessed!  Life is good.


The Littles have all been moved out to the coop.
The Bigs have been banned to the run only
(with some make-shift shelter) till the, uh, er,
"end of their days" as we shall call it.  If we're
lucky, the "egg-gap" won't be felt too hard--or even at all.
(Store-bought eggs are considered taboo around here.)

Good luck to all this week!
Happy quilting!




Linking up to:
Home Sewn By Us Tuesday To-Do Linky #49

Comments

Roseanne said…
Hi Cheree! I've been wondering about you and the West Point goodies. Oh yes, I can understand totally about putting a project aside. Not away - just aside. Scattered & Sewn is just a fabulous finish. It's huge! I love all of the photos and it will be wonderful to snuggle underneath it sooner than later. Hmm, you jelly roll goodies look so FUN! I'm intrigued that you only like this one pre-cut. I use charm packs occasionally (I have quite a few that I should use up!) but have found that most pre-cuts are not cut accurately. Have you found that to be true as well? Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne
piecefulwendy said…
What a fun post to read. Yay for the finish of Scattered and Sewn. I'm smiling as I read your photo dilemmas, as I can completely relate. I tried to take a quilt photo outside yesterday, and the mosquitoes about carried me away! Anyway, the quilt is a beauty and that it has a special place in your heart is even better. I was just thinking that it's time (okay, way past time) for me to re-cover my ironing board. I'm on my fourth or fifth too. Must find fun fabric - I love yours! If only the fabric would stay pretty! Thanks for sharing all of the fun things going on in your neck of the woods!
Scattered and Sewn is gorgeous! I enjoyed all your different photos - fun to see it in different lights! Loving the peek at your new quilt project, too.
Needled Mom said…
That’s a great finish. It turned out beautifully.
Joyful Quilter said…
Scattered & Sewn turned out fantastic! I hate it when someone asks who am I making the quilt for? They are all for me until I decide to give one away.

The fabric on your ironing board is very cute...when I was at the quilt retreat someone had covered their board with an army wool blanket, not pretty, but everyone loved ironing on it, better than the wool mats.

Fried chicken?? Oh no. ;o)
Sharon - IN said…
Scattered and Sewn is delightful! So interesting how light changes the look in the photos. I like the shadows showing off the quilting.
As for why we make quilts - I get a kick out of a quilting friend who always asks who a quilt is for. Sometimes the quilt can be just for me, or I'm simply drawn to the pattern or fabric I'm using. The quilt does not always have to be a gift.
Best wishes to your West Point Cadet!
dq said…
Lovely finish and lovely garden! You sound so positive and ready to dig into that next project!
Rebecca Grace said…
Your Scattered and Sewn looks amazing! Do you follow paper pantographs or is your machine computerized? It looks great, and I think your pictures look pretty good, too. No one would have any idea that was a towel in the background if you hadn’t told us! I though it was a napping black lab at first!
Kim said…
Your Scattered and Sewn quilt is beautiful. Thank goodness for quilting is what I say in these most bizarre times. Love your sweet little chickens.
The quilt turned out great! I like your new ironing board fabric.