2024 Week 18 To-Do's: Nature's Schedule & Let's Talk Back Pain From Sewing

Happy Tuesday!
I've been a little busy with yard, garden and other outdoor work
and playing a lot of golf so it's been a couple weeks since I last
checked in.  I have not skipped any quilting though so I'm
anxious to share what's been going on in the sewing room!

* * * Week 15 Priority * * *
Finish Star Chain blocks; come up with a name:  Done


This one is quilted up and just awaiting the binding that I have
ordered online--and not only that, it's part of a MSQC bundle so
it'll be another week before I see it.  I can't wait to finish it though
because once I quilted it, it became exponentially prettier to me.
It's another white quilt so it'll be tough to catch its beauty in a pic
but I'll see what I can do!
On the name, I'm just going with Star Chain.  Easy enough.

2) Top off any needed pics for Etsy & get all 6 (!) quilts listed.
I finally pushed myself and got every one of them done.
You wanna know something really exciting?  I sold 2 of them along
with 2 other quilts, within 24 hours of the new listings going live.
Best. Day. Ever. for my little quilt shop!

"Pepitas" made last fall

I also received a request from a customer to make another of my
Pepitas quilt as she was sad to have missed out on that one.
I don't take special orders but I'm always up for making pumpkin
quilts, especially when my stash is up for it too.

This leads us right on into the week ahead...

* * * Week 18 Priority * * *
Finish Pepita quilt blocks; possibly get entire top done?
(Pattern is "Pumpkin Fest" by Corey Yoder)
As I've mentioned, garden and yard work abounds, and then
I have to go work out all that back tension on the golf course.
However, there is rain in the forecast later this week so I may be
in the sewing room quite a bit.  I am so thankful that no matter
the weather, I will always be able to do activities that I love.


At this point, I have all 82 pumpkins done and I've gotten a
start on piecing the stars so it is reasonable to aspire to
completing this whole top.  I'll just let nature decide what
I devote my time to most this week.

In other news:

All spring crops are in:
Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, 4 squash varieties, cabbage,
broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, all onion varieties,
shallots, spinach, beets, green beans, tomatillos...
Am I missing anything??

Besides the garden:
I'm painting our two decks, filling all planters with flowers,
decorating our front porch and decks, trimming shrubs and
trees (especially the fruit trees), weeding flower gardens, etc.
Always so much to tend to but I'm grateful that I enjoy it.
Learning to not let it overwhelm me seems to be the key.

Taking care of me:
I never liked how quilting puts me in a chair so much.  I get up
constantly to use the iron but with my major back problems, I'm
usually at a pain level of 5 or more after a day in the sewing room,
even with many breaks.    As the spinal pain increases, the surrounding
muscles tense up, adding more pain and knots and the whole darned
thing just spirals down very quickly.  Let's just say you don't want to be
 around me at that point.  What do I do?

If you get back pain from sewing, here are some of my personal tips:
I take hot epsom salt baths most nights and I get a deep tissue
therapeutic massage once a month.  I credit my masseuse with keeping
me off the operating table a second time.  She is AMAZING!  (She is also
currently booked 8 months out so good luck to any newbies trying to
 get in with her!  That's worse than my back surgeon!  So yep I book
my appointments about a year out to make sure I get her!)
If you struggle with the idea of getting a massage, trust me on
this one.  Bite the bullet, do your best to relax and just try it.
It's hella cheaper--and so much more enjoyable!--than surgery.


I also golf as much as I can.  It's amazing how it loosens my muscles
 back up IF I take pain meds before every round to get them started.
And I walk the course, riding only in extremely hot weather.
If you can't golf, at least get out there and walk.

I use Biofreeze constantly--and I really don't care that I
smell like "Eau de Biofreeze Parfum," as I call it.
On really bad days, it's Cool Azul by Young Living.
(Pricey stuff, but it's also really good stuff!)

Inflammatory foods are off the plate.  No sugar.  Zip.  Zilch.
(No fake stuff either)  And for me, flour.  
Do I stick to this?  Sometimes for weeks and then the little
cheats start happening and then the pain gets bad enough
for me to stop completely again.

Well my back continues to degenerate and as it lately has begun
dipping into a new level of yuck, the idea kept popping into my head
that I need to take care of me.  I never really like that phrase because
it seems so blasted passive.  I don't like to sit or lay around because
it makes me feel lazy and unproductive, and worse it actually hurts
my back!  (Yup, I can't even rest.)  But finally it occurred to me that
"taking care of me" shouldn't always be passive; it can mean taking
action....like doing this yoga for back pain that I found on YouTube
years ago.  I started it back up and haven't missed a day since.

Chloe joins me at yoga time but she chooses her own poses.

Does it help my spinal pain?  Not really because what I need
is to somehow generate new fluid between all the vertebrae.
(I constantly joke about waiting on a spine transplant.)
But does it help my hip and muscle pain?  Heck yes!  On day one,
I was so tight I couldn't sit cross-legged--but I can now.
There are definitely days where I'm tighter but overall, it's helping
and it always feels good so I wanted to share it with you quilters.
(And if you golf, you'll really love what it does to your game!)

If you try it, keep me posted!

Have a lovely week and happy quilting!

Linking up to:
Monday Musings by Songbird Designs
Tuesday To Do by Quilt Schmilt
Sew & Tell by Melva Loves Scraps

Comments

Linda said…
Congratulations on your Etsy sales!! I love the name Pepitas. I also love the Star Chain quilt, it just looks beautiful in the photo. What color are you painting the decks? Do you have loppers to trim your fruit trees? I used to pore through Martha Stewart's Gardening book and was fascinated by how she trimmed her fruit trees herself. Can't wait to see pics of your garden. Would you believe I use Biofreeze as a chigger repellant? The gal at our small town pharmacy recommended it, and so far it works. I hate the smell! Good luck on all the positive things you do for your back. LOVE the photo of Chloe doing yoga. ;)
so many of us have back and spine issues it is good to read what all you do. I lay flat on the floor for awhile to straighten my back out off and on and then do some stretching exercises too. Pain meds do not seem to help all that much, I also use a TENS unit off and on.
piecefulwendy said…
So fun to see those quilts, and congrats on the fast sales in your shop! Good reminder to move and make choices to care for our bodies as they age, and as we quilt.
grammajudyb said…
Thanks for sharing all your tips. I know I should CUT the sugar, but boy is that ever tough for me! Do you use any substitute for something sweet? Is honey a “no-no” too?
Love the pumpkin quilt you are working on! And what a perfect name for it!
Pepitas is beautiful, I love this quilt!
Kate said…
You've been busy in and out of the sewing room! Constant back pain is no fun. For some reason mine went into remission when my knee got so bad, but it's back again this week, so thanks for the tips. Bike riding was my antidote to back pain, but I had to stop that with the knee issues. I'm hoping to start that back up next week (I need to be able to get on the bike and I'm not quite there yet). I'm lucky, time in my sewing room helps me feel better. Hope you find the right mix of activities and feel better.
Kathleen said…
Congrats on your sales and your commission quilt. I know what you mean about sitting all day, and have thought about a desk that rises, but so I could stand, but it seems so different, I am a bit wary of it. Love Yoga for all the stretching and lubricating it does....and so glad you are doing what you can to avoid surgery...a good thing. One day I hope there are some other less invasive solutions for lubricating the joints!
You've been really busy, Cheree. Congrats on the quick sales! I've never tried Etsy since I sell my patterns and designs from my website. I'm so sorry about your back pain, but glad that you found the yoga to help loosen things up. My hubby had back surgery years ago and still has problems, but won't do it again. Thankfully it's not as bad as then. Now our 15 year old granddaughter has bulging discs. After they were discovered, she was in horrific pain for several weeks and one day she said it popped and the pain eased up. Thankfully she hasn't had a bad episode since then. She's way to young for that. She and out daughter are going to a chiropractor specifically for people with disc problems and so far it has really helped her. Take good care of yourself and have a great week. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!
Your quilts are looking fabulous, Cheree. Thank you so much for sharing your tips on how to manage with pain. I will share them with my hubby who suffers from pain in the joints. Take care.