2023 Tuesday To Do Post Week 10: I Found An Assistant!

Hello again motivated do'ers.  Welcome to another
How is your month shaping up so far!?

I'd like to kick off by checking in on what I
accomplished since we met last Tuesday:

Week 9


* * My Priority! * *
Finish blog hop quilt top and post


I worked like the dickens to get this quilt top
finished by Sunday afternoon for pictures.  

Autumn Color Cascade...or a different name?

Even with my fast 'n furious stitching, I had to pause
before the last border was on to take advantage
of the last bit of daylight outside for a photo.


Here is a good portion of it hanging on the design wall
later but at 81x94, it doesn't fit so still not a great pic.
But it was done, and so I set about finishing my post
to get it out in time...right until our power went out.
  LOL. The obstacles just kept coming up!  See #2 below, too.
(Our transformer by the street went bad).  But let no one say
that I failed to bring my hop post to the table! 
I set a hotspot with my phone and, by candle light, finished
it up late at night, in time for Monday/Day One of the hop.
Huzzah.

If you missed my post, please check it out here!

Kudos to the electric company for being here within
an hour and at 12:30am, it popped back on!

2) Work with Quilt Path

I finally started playing with it--yay!--but, and this
is the the short story, after a lot of texting, phone calls,
 emails and Facetimes, we've decided that my
thread [break] detector is defective.
A new one arrived just yesterday but in the meantime,
mine decided to work sporadically, and when it didn't,
 I just over-rode the error message.

Here are the things I've been learning on:


1) Two small mini's
These were my first to play on--and they look it.  LOL
I was more intent on playing than choosing a great design.
Plus, I hadn't found them all at that point.

2) A wall hanging for my sis (no pic)
3) A charity quilt for the guild (no pic)


4) Ring Around the Rosey--72x72


This quilt is a beautiful candidate for some specific block
quilting so it killed me to just do E2E--although I think this
modern design looks just fine.  Soon I'll learn to work with
all the bells and whistles.  I have lots of videos to watch!


5) Ohio Meadow--92x104
Sorry about the sun shining in and if you so the odd,
mismatched fabric along the edges, stay tuned...


 Another quickly chosen design.  I'm really looking forward
perusing the designs, and adding more to my collection.
(I might get out of hand there!)

In the past if I had done all of that in less than a week 
my back and shoulders would be screaming at me. 
But now that I'm-so-behind stress that I've had is
slowly diminishing.  For months I have wished there were
two of me, or if only I could somehow get an assistant.
If I could just get caught up!
But, oh ho!  My Assistant is now here and you should see the
pile of finishes I have looking at me, waiting on binding!

A few other things I have been able to accomplish
while my assistant worked away on my quilts:
Took care of the chickens
Did dishes
Gotten hours (HOURS!) of computer work done
Finished my Cascade quilt top (above)
Ate meals
Headed off to Mass (as she worked the last row!)
Tidied my studio

In short, she is the miracle I have prayed for.

3) Create a new Quilt Worksheet form
This has been a process of trial and error
but I think I'm there.

4) Start on next shop quilts
I won't have time for weeks but I'm just thinking ahead.
I really haven't decided yet but perhaps my next
West Point quilt--if I have all the fabrics.

Okay, now about that odd fabric on the back of Ohio Meadow.
As you know, when you plan to quilt by longarm, your backing
needs to have a good 4-5" of overhang on all edges.  When I
made the backing for this quilt, I was cutting it very short but,
in doing pantographs by hand, I'd always been able to
work carefully with this.  When I went to load Meadow, I
quickly saw there was a problem.  Going digital means you
really can't fudge that space much.  


Now I'm an impatient quilter and I didn't want to mess with
cutting some sort of extension strips out and all that but what
popped into my mind was to use scrap jelly roll strips.  I threw
those together and sewed them on in no time at all.


If you look closely again at my pulling-it-off-the-frame pic
you'll see it did the trick nicely.  And I used scraps that I
have no problem tossing into the trash.  Anyhoo, if you 
 you just need a couple more inches on each side, this
an do the trick nicely and quickly.
That's my helpful tip for the day!

It really has been a most productive week, even if it did
have its share of frustrations.  My happiness and relief with
Ms. Assistant has outshone the bumps along the way.

So what's in store for Week 10?
I'm afraid it's a bit busy with appointments and such
but I'm still hoping to accomplish the following:

* * My Priority! * *



 Bind, label and finish both Meadow and Rosey.  I made
the bindings weeks ago so there's a jump on this task.

2) Bind, label and finish the 2 minis

3) Make a form to receive quilts for quilting jobs
I have a sample already so it shouldn't take long.

4) Start on next quilt

Happy quilting!

Comments

Miaismine said…
Oh my! That is one lovely quilt! Yes! I love the name Autumn Color Cascade! It looks like a colorful waterfall. Your photos are perfect, highlighting the fabrics and style. That last border frames the project nicely. Your minis are so pretty - love that quilting. This year, one of my goals is to keep my points...sigh...they cry when they get lost in the seams. :) Wow! Ring Around the Rosey...stunning! The curvy quilting sure highlights those stars! Your Ohio Meadow is another winner! How I admire the skills of LAQs! You put the "frosting on the cake"!
Vicki in MN said…
I am glad it is all working out so well for you!
grammajudyb said…
Autumn Cascade is a beautiful quilt, as are all your creations! Does your assistant have a name? Just curious! :) I’ll bet you were so excited to be able to do the dishes! Wink,wink! Hope next week is just as successful!
Kathleen said…
Your assistant is a huge help! I did some piecing and straightening up as Tabitha, my assistant, quilted yesterday. She was being a bit fussy so required some help. I know what you mean about going for the modern quilting rather than the block by block...just faced that with the quilt I was working on. You need to allow a little more time for that and I also consider where they are going before I worry about spending time on block by block quilting!
piecefulwendy said…
It is so good to hear that you are thoroughly enjoying your new assistant! You are doing well getting to know her, and I know your body is thanking you. I'm liking what I see as far as your projects, too!
Ivani said…
OWO great an assistent it's everything you need to being able to dedicate more time to your beautiful quilts.
Bonnie said…
How fun to start learning Quilt Path. It's amazing how well a computerized long arm can get things done. Are you using clamps to attach your quilts to the rollers? I've been using them for years and they really make it so much faster to get a quilt loaded. I use the Red Snapper system. Works great.
Autumn Color Cascades is a beauty. Such a fabulous collection of fabrics and I adore those little minis. You are staying awfully busy.You go, girl. Happy quilting.
Karin said…
Beautiful projects...you certainly have got a lot of projects going. Took me a moment to figure out who your assistant was
chrisknits said…
What great accomplishments! I am in awe of your productivity!!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Talk about dedication, finishing your post without electricity! That's amazing and so is your quilt top. Oh, nuts to having a defective thread detector. I'm glad it was easy to replace and have it working for you. I love the design you selected for Ohio Meadow. It looks like a whole bunch of leaves to me. How great that you are able to multitask while your assistant takes over and proceeds with the quilting pattern you select. I'm sure you're still handy in case she has issues or concerns. HAHA! Quilt Path allows you to set up the boundaries for quilting and that's why you needed that extra yardage on the sides? Does the software alert you when it's time to advance the quilt? I imagine this is going to make a huge difference in your quilting business! How exciting. I'm thrilled for you. Good luck with this week's list. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
Mary said…
Autumn Color Cascade is beautiful. Great fall colors in it. The robotic quilting is so nice when there are other things to do. My thread break sensor does not like Glide threads. I’m sure they had you wrap the thread around it several times in all the advice you’ve received.
Linda said…
What a spectacular Assistant! Is it hard to load it just so, so that the quilting goes on "straight" (if that makes sense)? What a treat, even if you have a lot of videos to watch, I think you are pretty darned amazing. :)
Carol Andrews said…
Cheree you had an amazing week and knowing the thread breaks wasn't operator error must be a comfort. Autumn Cascades is beautiful. I'm having fun watching as you learn your new tool! Assistants are wonderful. Good luck with this wekk's list. I'm sure you will have another great post next week with lots more accomplished. Now you need a binding assistant. :)
Carol Andrews said…
and thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday!
Kate said…
Wow! You did have a very productive week. Hopefully this week has been as good.