2023 Week 6 Tuesday To Do: Two Finished Tops


Hello, motivated do'ers!
I'd like to welcome you to check what I've been doing
and then head over to see everyone else's progress.

Last week I had an aggressive list:

1) Make backing, binding and label for Meadow;
come up with official name.
DONE!
Ohio Meadow (referring to the blocks) finished at a
whopping 92X104.  I don't have a picture yet because
 it's so big but imagine a thin rusty border and then
a wide green floral border (same fabric line) on this:


For the back, I made good use of remaining
fabric and pulled a little more from my stash.


Not a great photo; colors are prettier in person.
(I kinda failed in the photo dept this week, eh?)
The green star fabric is from the outer border, btw.


(Again, prettier in person.)
In all this beast took over 19 yards of fabric which
seems insane but I math'd and yeah, that's right.

2) Fix Jan Laundry Basket Quilts QAL houses;
make Feb blocks.  Not done.  Oops. 
I have told myself Sunday afternoon is the time for
this project but this past Sunday was gorgeous and with
the balls flying long and straight on the driving range,
I chose to play 9 holes instead.  The weather just doesn't
get that pretty in February (short sleeves!) and I have
all month to do this anyway, right?

3) Update fabric tracking; work on business side of
my business.  Some progress.
Fabric tracking is up to date; progress with hubs on
the business stuff.  (<---I'm real into technical terms)

On my fabric tracking I should probably start by
'fessing up on how I ended last year.  

Yards purchased in 2022:  306 
[That's nuts!]
Yards used in 2022:  231
[Not enough, but still respectable.]
Over/under:  +75 yards
[Oof.  Must. Make. More quilts!]

I call this a Fess-Up but the guilt is only because I didn't
use more.  Knowing exactly what I will get good use out
of and what would just be an impulse buy one day but
still sitting on my shelves years later is becoming a skill.
Fabric-buying can make for some great laughs for quilters
but from a business perspective, honing in on this can be
is a really necessary skill but I find it fun, and motivating.
When I chew quickly through a bolt, I pat myself on the
back and say,  "Wow, great buy!  Do that again!"

The obvious goal is to use more than I buy.  I failed pretty
miserably last year but as I mentioned in a recent post,
I had other things on my plate.  This year is looking much
more hopeful this year, even if I have started out in the
wrong direction.

Yards purchased this year to date:  46 
Yards used this year to date:  30
Over/Under:  16 yards

 I'm starting to go in the right direction, and my plans
(except for one) all include fabrics that already have.
And I am highly motivated.

4) Start next quilt
DONE!  And I took this one all the way.

I have a somewhat-complicated red/ivory quilt on my
queue but first I wanted to use up a jelly roll.  And the
pattern that just kept coming around in my mind was
the one I used for my recent quilt "With This Ring."


This one is not for the faint of quilter's-heart but I
just loved how it turned out so I dove in again.
There are some notes I'd like to share on this
pattern if anyone is wanting to make it:


I was first annoyed with having to buy a special ruler and
even tried to make do without it.  But a few cuts into
With This Ring, I made the very-correct-decision to get the
Creative Grids Multi-Size 45/90 ruler.  It seems a tad "fiddly"
but you get HST's from jelly strips with NO waste, and you
only have to trim ears from one side (not both) so it makes
up for itself in other ways.  From someone who tries to keep
 her ruler collection down, I think this one is worth it if you
are into strips (ruler works for other sizes besides 2.5").

Now, that aside, if you find yourself wanting to make this
pattern, I think it would be much easier making HST's in
one of the methods that make multiple amounts at a
time rather than from jelly roll strips.


This isn't a matter of just making little star blocks.  The
stars overlap so you end up putting 2-3 together
at once, in horizontal strips.  HST's pointing this way
and that and your head can begin to swim but it's
all very doable in a quiet sewing room--I promise!
Don't be afraid of it, just don't take it to your
"sew with friends" sessions!

And lastly, one major tip that I have now discovered:
sizing cuts way down on fraying fabric.
When you're using deep red with a solid ivory, this is
huge especially from a longarmer's perspective.


I just started it last week and voila, completed top!
I wanted to get more creative in the borders but by
yesterday, I was out of steam and just copied my
previous version.  I think I will at least make
a pieced binding with the excess jelly roll strips.

Next week's goals

I have much less time for quilting this week so I'm
keeping it pretty simple.

1) Pick a name for the red star rings, make
 label and binding.

2) Choose next project and start
I really need to make a quilt for our new granddaughter
but I canNOT decide a fabric line.  As my daughter really
just wants something basic (like squares), I'd like to just
grab a layer cake or charm packs.  Where are all the
cute ones when I'm actually needing one?!?

And that's it for me, unless I decide to quilt.
I'm temporarily unsure about quilting these current projects.
Do I go ahead, using pantographs so that I can complete
them, or do I allow the tops (with backs and bindings made)
to accumulate for when I'm ready to dive in with my new
Quilt Path?  It has arrived by the way.  And it's just sitting
there until we get time to install it.  My class is in two
weeks so no need to push I guess but it seems a little
strange to finally have it...and just leave it in the box!

Happy quilting!

Comments

maggie fellow said…
I really enjoyed the blog post - good start to my day. the red stars are so pretty
Vicki in MN said…
It's okay to take time off and go have a little fun! Then you will feel more energized to get back to work. Red star ring looks fab!
Linda said…
Love reading your posts - I feel so inspired! Good tips on With This Ring. I am glad you posted a single block, because I never realized it was little friendship stars, and that you can't just simply make a bunch of little friendship stars! I'm so impressed you not only made another one but also had time for some golf - lol! I look forward to seeing the new baby quilt. ;)
chrisknits said…
Happy Dance for you!!! I would also be dithering over opening it or waiting! Love the new rings top. And meadow, can't wait to see it quilted.
that ruler looks interesting. I have a hard time purchasing specialty rulers - sometimes I but them to use for one particular quilt intending to use them more and then never do so I rarely buy them -
Bonnie said…
Love your red and cream With the Ring. Although I was thinking more along the lines of Ring of Stars. Thanks for the hints although I won't be making it anytime soon. Fabric purchasing is always a questionable event UNLESS you are buying for a specific quilt. I'm having some luck sewing from my stash but I'm always in need of backing fabrics. Sigh. Is Quilt Path by Grace Company? If so I believe there are a lot of videos on You Tube about using it. It is also like Quiltmagine for the Nolting... if it is the one I think it is. Have fun quilting or piecing this week.
Anne-Marie said…
You are on a roll! And who could turn down being outside and enjoying spring temps in the winter?
Kathryn T said…
With this Ring is just so pretty in both projects. You completed it with amazing speed. I don't keep count of what fabric I buy and what I actually use. I think it is something for me to think about.
Carol Andrews said…
Well done Cheree! Ohio Meadow is going to be stunning when you get that monster quilted! I love With This Ring in the reds. I don't blame you for wanting to be out. I went for a long walk around my golf course (which is still covered in snow) and am looking forward to the day when DH can get back out there again. I miss the quiet of winter when the course opens for a week or two and then enjoy hearing the chatter and thunk when someone hits a ball well. It would kill me to have QuiltPath here and not be using it. I admire your restraint. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. Hope your week is going well and you are having some fun.
Meadow looks fabulous and great use of the extra blocks. With This Ring is another fabulous design. Love it in red. Have a fabulous productive week.
Ivani said…
Red ring is beautiful. That ruler seems to be very useful.
Have a great week, Cheree
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! What?! You haven't made a quilt for your newest granddaughter yet? I'm not trying to quilt shame you - really. What will you make for her? Ooh, I can understand how it would be hard to keep Quilt Path in the box . . . but you want to learn the right way to use it and not have to correct bad habits. If there can be bad habits with that?? Gosh, the friendship star ring is just gorgeous. Oh, so many HSTs - and you have the fabrics split up so nicely. My vote is to wait for Quilt Path to be up and running so you have plenty of quilt tops to test it out. I can't wait to hear all about it!! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
You are fast! I'm much slower than you are (too many other things going on). Nice quilt top.
Sharon - IN said…
Well zip zip zip for you speedy! I do love the Ring block and the whole quilt is gorgeous. As is the back for Ohio Meadow. Congratulations on the new granddaughter! I'm sure inspiration will soon hit for a quilt for her.
Miaismine said…
Oh, what beautiful hearts in the snow photo! That one would be beautiful framed!
Your quilt came out so pretty! Love your pieced border with the blocks centered! It almost looks like a reversible quilt!
I’m so glad you were able to enjoy a lovely afternoon of golf!
Wow! You used 231 yards of fabric in 2022! That’s an amazing number! Congratulations!
I read the post you referred to…I can relate in a small way. Hugs to you!
With This Ring is so pretty! Thank you for sharing your notes!
Lately my daughter has been making some very sweet, simple patchwork quilts and they are lovely! I’m sure you’ll find a fabric line you love!
Happy sewing!



Kate said…
You had a great week with the to do list. The friendship star rings turned out beautifully, but it does sound like you had a steep learning curve on those. You did pretty well on the stash usage end of things last year, even if you didn't make your goal. I've given up on stash management goals, they don't work for me, it ends up being whatever it is. Good luck with this week's to do list.
What a great post! Enjoyed reading your ideas and thoughts. I never do math when it comes to quilting either in blocks or fabric in and out. I really really should do both. Ohio Meadow is such a quiet beauty. Love it and your Star rings too. What exquisite piecing...maybe it's the math!