Tuesday To-Do #32

Hello and welcome to another Tuesday post!
 I've been putting in long hours in the quilt studio
over the past week and I'm anxious to join the
others on Texas Quilt Gal's link-up and show
a little of what I've been up to.

1) Quilt and finish Snow Day


DONE!


If you zoom in a little you can see the mittens
and loops design.  What a fun panto, and just
perfect for this quilt.  It's now bound, labeled
and ready for its photo shoot.

2) Finish cutting out latest fall quilt.
DONE!
Oh boy, did I!

This is where I was last Tuesday.


Early in the week, I was pretty open so I
 kicked this top out very quickly.


But I didn't like the outer edges of this layout at all.
Why not just complete the edges of the stars in 
the inner border?


Standing in front of this, I really liked how the
stars were looking....


...until I took a pic and saw it on my phone.
Well, those are kinda spiky.
(That explains why they didn't finish the stars!)
I still thought it was better than the original
and certainly a black border right next to those
stars should help tone it down...so I kept going.


I think it did a little but I wonder if I should have
just stuck with the original.  It was a fun one to
make either way but I'm not sure I'd do it again.


When I'm standing right in front of it, it looks great
but in a pic, the stars do kinda burst out into spikes.
The quilt top is done so I think the best way to work
with this is to bring the stars into the name.
I was going to call it Indian Corn originally but now,
what if I own those stars by naming it November Stars
or Indian Popcorn (ha!) or Autumn Comets or maybe
Autumn Crowns or....? (Leaning toward November Stars.)

3) Keep thinking on Garlic Knots
Haven't touched this.  I'm not sure I've gone so quickly
from hot to cold to hot to cold on a quilt.   Weird.

4) Make pillows out of embroidery projects for a friend.
One down and progress on the other three.
I'll post more on this soon.

Other things:


I scored a cute little package from Karrin of
Karrin's Crazy World--a prize from the recent
Get On Board With Sewing Blog hop.
The mug rug is so cute I've hung it right next to
my sewing desk on the wall for now!

In the garden I've been chipping away at the cleanup.
Amazing how a little here and a little there will add up.
The peppers are really going strong right now so I've
been getting a lot of bell peppers in the freezer.
Yellow, orange, red and green peppers cut into strips for
 "fajita mixes" (fajitas or fajita bowls); packages of just
green bell peppers work well for Philly Cheesesteak
bowls.  All of these are just great for quick fix meals
all winter long.  There are jalapenos, green chilies and
poblanos to deal with next.


The weather is gorgeous and the golfing has been an
absolute blast.  Golf, gardenging, quilting...ack!
So much to do, so little time--but so blessed!
I got an Apple watch for my b-day, mostly to use
for golf GPS but I'm enjoying seeing how many
steps/miles I get in.  With three rounds of golf,
I put in around 20 miles over the weekend.  Now I just
need to fit another round or two in during the week.

The week ahead:

The annual shop hop begins in a few days so that is my
only focus this week.   Sadly, I'm sitting around 24 yards
in the positive on my fabric tracking.  I'm very capable of
some fast and furious sewing but I think I'd have to skip
sleep to really stick to my "guilt-free" shop hopping idea.
  I'm not hugely worried about it (it's mostly all for fun) but
I still want to see how much I can reduce that number
before we hit the road.

*Update
Right after I wrote that, I started two new quilts,
(both from Corey Yoder's Wooded Whimsy pattern)
so I'll be sitting at more like +12 yards or so by the
shop hop.

I'll see you back here next week with lots of pics
from the hop, and maybe some fun purchases?

Happy quilting!

Comments

Kathryn T said…
Another very productive week. I love those mittens quilted in the Snow Day quilt. I bet the Corey Yoder Wooded Whimsy tops will be great.
Linda said…
Isn't it funny, I never saw the stars in the original pattern until you mentioned them. I like your "bursts", especially with the black around it. Love the name Popcorn. :D My peppers are thriving too. I have one plant and it is a good one! I have so much fun reading your posts. :) Thank you for joining with us at To Do Tuesday!
Vicki in MN said…
Congrats on finishing snow days quilt. For what it's worth I like your spikey stars in your fall quilt. Have a great week and we're looking forward to seeing what you find during the shop hops!
You are definitely capable of fast and furious sewing! Going from a pile of cut squares to a finished quilt top in a week is amazing in my book! I love the look of your latest fall quilt, and like how you finished off the stars on the edges. They do have a different look than the very same type of star within the pattern, but it's all good. Snow Day is beautiful, too!
piecefulwendy said…
Seeing the autumn quilt now, I like the spikey stars, they just add something to the finish of the quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing your Corey Yoder quilt. I loved fall golf, so I'm living vicariously through you - haha!
I like those finished stars much better than their plan of cutting them off. Have fun on the shop hop.
grammajudyb said…
Your Snow Day quilts is wonderful! The mitten quilting is so cute. Whatever you decide to name your fall quilt, it's gorgeous. I'm a fall color lover!
Enjoy the rounds of golf and the garden bounty. Fajitas sound like a great winter meal idea.
Sharon Kwilter said…
I like the spikey edge. Well done.
Interesting quilt with the Stars. The Snow Day quilt is so pretty and love the mittens. Hugs