Tuesday To Do #10: Studio Prep & Lucey Arrival Part 1

"Oooh Lucey, you're hoooome!" 


Lucey is finally here.
And I've been doing so much to make the perfect studio
for spending all of our time together that I chose to skip
last week's to-do.  But hopefully that's enough of that
behavior and from here on out, I'll be back to being a
dedicated, regular participator on Texas Quilt Gal's
Tuesday To-Do starting with today's Link Up!

With so much activity, it's hard to squeeze all of this
into one post so even though I can't wait to show you
my amazing new space, I'm doing this in two parts.

I guess I should start with some To-Do's since that's
what we're all here for today.  How about:

1) Buy a long arm--Done.
2) Build a studio--Done.

What a list, right?  And did I think I'd end up
with my dream studio?  Not at all.
I never got passed:  "Will it all fit okay?" but things just
kind of kept falling into place--with a lot of work!

Let's go back to the beginning.  If you recall, I needed
to move the cadet's things over into his brother's room.
(Other son is in the process of buying a home.)
Both rooms are upstairs, each off to opposite sides of
our open stairway so fortunately, this wasn't as difficult
as it could have been.  Now, you wanna something cool?
This room was actually mine when we built this home
back when I was in high school. Who'd have thought,
back in that day, that I'd be right back in it turning it
into a quilting studio!

Getting ready to paint, incl mudding holes in wall, etc.

So next was to paint.  It doesn't quite show in the above
pic, but that really was the prettiest blue.  But I'm sure you
can see how it had to go.  I needed neutral and bright.


Due to my own mistake, I ended up painting three times.
First, a wrong color, and then two more of the prettiest paint
quilter could ever have.  I have always loved to paint but
I do believe this girl's painting days are done.  Sheesh.
It can be pretty darned rough on an older body!

Tint of Honey, btw.

Oh the brightness! I do wish you could see it in person.
Just gorgeous.  If my painting days are over, I'm
happy to be going out on this color!

Both upstairs rooms are large, each with a dormer,
two walk-in closets and their own vanity cabinet (with sink)
 off to the side with a bathroom shared between.  
The vanities in both rooms are pretty dated so we're
working on that but first things first, okay?
I had hubs help me draw up a layout of the room so
you could understand a little better here.   


My sketching isn't perfectly to scale but hopefully you
get the idea.  And yes, I am fully aware I have the worst
handwriting in existence.  I have finally come to terms
with this--and no longer care.  (How freeing!)

 So now you see I have a T-shape to try to figure out
where Lucey will fit best so what did I do?


I grabbed up an old roll of butcher paper and made out
the exact footprint of Lucey to move around the room
until I found the best place for her.


And done.  It took longer to make the footprint than it
did to get it all figured out!  A good thing because the next
day, I was set to be down at Red Barn Quilting at 9 am
so Brenda could show me how to take care of my new LA.


Road trip!
And I just realized that if you zoom, you might make out how
 fast I was driving.  Since I seem to be fessing up to things today,
you might as well know that I'm a little speedy on the highways.
 (Learning all about me today, aren't we?)


Random house being built up the road from Red Barn Quilts.
I just think it's pretty so I'm sharing.

The shop is to the far right here on their ranch.

After learning the low-down on everything, including
maintenance and plenty of other tidbits that I never knew
(like how humidity can affect your tension), I headed over
to meet hubs who had ridden down with his parents and
we spent the night at their little lake house. 
(Grateful for the time and gas this saved!)


The next day we set about loading her up.  Hubs is 
pretty savvy and in taking this thing down with Brenda's
help, he pretty much had it memorized for setting it back
up but we did take some pictures for help.


APQS makes some amazingly solid machines, and they
don't break down into shorter pieces like my old one.
On this cold and rainy day, we needed at least 12' of
covered space (cold & rainy!) to get her home.
So, a U-haul to the 
rescue.


I put complete trust in hubs and my FIL when it came
to loading her up.  They have skillz, and also understood
how just sensitive everything is.  (I did get the deluxe table
with that Bliss Track system and it has to be handled
with the utmost care!)   Again, grateful!


Lucey herself, of course, rode up with hubs and I.
Several hours later we were finally home and unpacked.
I was in no hurry; we were tired and had a weekend
 ahead of us still so after some initial set-up, we decided
to finish the next day.  

I was moving things up from my sewing room and it was
 taking an insane amount of thought and planning.
How did this happen?!?
I'd insisted on keeping my sewing room downstairs!
I didn't want to be tucked upstairs away from the activity.
Wait....what activity?
I guess sometimes I forget I'm an empty-nester!  Ha!
The great lighting, the open space and the idea of having
it all together was starting to sound very attractive.
Plus, the great hubs who helped make all this happen
really wanted my old room for his office.

The trick was how to organize it all.  After trying a couple
layouts I slept on it...and then tried more the next day. 


I have to sew in front of a window but this just
didn't feel right.  I felt like I was kind of down a tunnel.
And where did that leave space for my cutting table?


 Then it occurred to me to put my desk at the front of the
dormer.  From that angle, I could still see out of the arched
window.  This would also be great later when I get my
computer program so I can keep an eye on Lucey doing
 her thing while I sew away.   Hubs was also talking about
getting me a tv to mount on the wall that I could watch
from there.  Not a big tv-watcher but I do love tutorials
so I was definitely in on this plan.


I tried the cutting table several ways and ended up with this.
 It didn't look great at first but it felt good so I was willing
to give it a trial run.  You'll have to trust me on this one.
It starts coming together...


 Meanwhile, in the closet...
A daughter has her things in one closet but each are
plenty spacious.  In the above pic, all of my quilt tops
are piled on the floor but they'll soon be hanging and
the floor free.  Well, even better, they'll soon be quilted!!


While Chloe was rapidly making herself at home in the
new studio, I was rapidly seeing that I wanted a hutch
that coordinated with my fabric cabinet.  This one would
 be for books, precuts, and misc.

So, another road trip--this time to IKEA in Kansas City.
I spent two solid hours walking the show floor, looking
for ideas and thinking through my organizing needs
(and wants).  And if that wasn't enough fun, I stopped
by a quilt shop on the way home.
With that, this is "To be Continued...!"
Next week I'll share the purchases and do a little
tour of the entire studio.

Next week's to-do's
1) Give a tour of new studio
2) Keep practicing on Lucey
3) Make some blocks for the monthly challenge

Happy quilting!

Comments

Joyful Quilter said…
Ooohhhh I'm so jealous of your new sewing studio - it is HUGE! Mine is split between the office in the front of the house and a bedroom in the back, with most of my fabric in the closet of another bedroom. Can't wait to see the final reveal.
so you live in the house you grew up in? This room looks very large but then once you get it filled up with the long arm and all the other items yes it won't seem as large am sure. I can tell in Texas you have a long way to go between places it was like that for us when we live in Idaho years ago. Looking forward to seeing your studio when done - being an empty nester you will grow accustomed to all this room quickly
piecefulwendy said…
Fun to see your space! I know how much work you've put into it, and I'm so excited for you. I love that you live in the house you grew up in. How cool is that?!
grammajudyb said…
A fabulous space! You will be so productive and it looks like Chloe has made herself at home. A good sign! Thanks for sharing your journey. A tiny bit "jelly" of your closets! Oh, and what is that gorgeous wall color? Just beautiful!!
Hi Cheree, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your Lucey adventure story. I noted that modern farmhouse design you spied on the journey..always like that. But wow, getting Lucey and her own perfect space is so wonderful. And imagine it being your old room. Oh you will so enjoy your time there stitching and dreaming within those honey touched painted walls!
That looks like a lovely space to have a studio, with lots of light, too! Exciting times for you! I'll look forward to part 2!
Vicki in MN said…
Oh boy could I ever use your size room, and the closet, wow! Happy for you to finally have Lucey home!
Linda said…
That studio space! Oh I'd move into it in a heartbeat. How wonderful that is the home you occupied when you were younger. Love the details in this part 1 post, keep 'em coming! Lucey's former home of Barnsdall is in my old stomping grounds. I grew up just south of Tulsa, and our football team played Barnsdall as well as other towns around there, and we spent the first 7 years of marriage in Bartlesville, just north of Barnsdall. Good memories. :)
Thanks for linking with To Do Tuesday!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! How exciting. I loved reading every detail you have shared. Gosh, what a wonderful lighting system it has!! Your studio space is just awesome. I think Lucey is directly in front of where you will be sewing? That is handy to be able to keep an eye on her doing computerized quilting, I would suspect. I just LOVE all the light and sunshine that room gets, and your paint job looks spectacular. I can't wait to read Part 2. {{Hugs}} a bunch. ~smile~ Roseanne
Bonnie said…
How much fun your new LA has arrived. And yep, I understand the trying to get it placed just right and the rest of your space set up. I think I would have gone for the window placement of the domestic machine as I like to look out the window while sewing. I am quite envious of all your light. I have one pair of French doors that are in front of steps leading from the basement. It does give me decent light but not as much as you get! Enjoy your new machine.
Anne-Marie said…
Enjoyed the studio tour! Walls look great. And the closet--awesome! I'm jealous of your IKEA trip. We haven't been in a while, and judging by their website, there's nothing actually in our store at the moment. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your Lucey. You know I love mine. :)
chrisknits said…
So thrilled for your new LA!! I am upgrading my frame from a Handiquilter Little Foot to a Studio 2!!! So excited to be able to do larger quilts with less effort.
Needled Mom said…
It's all going to be fabulous. I love the color of paint you selected. It has all be such an ordeal, but you are going to love it when it's all set up. How long is your table? Your son won't recognize his room when he comes for a visit.
Ivani said…
Uh-hu what a great studio!!! You did a pretty good painting. Enjoyed the tour.
How exciting Lucey arrived.
Kate said…
As exciting as a new studio is, it's a lot of work. You made a lot of progress.