2021 Tuesday To-Do #28


 Hellooooo August!
It's just my opinion but I think it's perfectly fine
to start bringing out a few fall things.  Those
 warm, rich colors are always a welcome sight.

Another welcome sight would be a lot of checkmarks
on my to-do list.  If I'd had the foresight to include
random squirrels, there would be checkmarks
aplenty...but, I did not.  I still got a passable amount
done but those squirrels kept me from a full list of
finishes.  But they were fun and I regret nothing!

Time to link up to Chris Knits:  Tuesday To-Do.
UPDATE:  Melva Loves Scraps is filling in for
today's Tuesday To-Do while Chris is on vacay.

West Point
Finalize layout/design
Done.
I've started sewing blocks together but it may
need to be bigger so either more blocks will
be made or just lots of borders will be added.

Positively Fearless
 Finish quilting
Well....um....er....
nothing to see here, just keep scrolling...

Teeny Tiny Quilt Club QAL
Finish first mini.


Done.
8X10


The tininess...it's too fun.


  It called for some other tiny things.


  Coffee beans.  They're tiny too.


  I have no idea what I'm going to do with them but
the Teeny Tiny Quilt Club has me hooked--for now.
I went through a mini phase about 15 years ago.
I guess I'm due for another.  

Squirrel Time
Too impatient to wait for the TTQC's next project,
I pulled out Kim Diehl's Simple Whatnots and
made another mini.  


Hints of fall color.
Btw, black is my favorite color to mix into
a quilt.  It just makes everything else pop!


 That mini was not enough...


so I began another of Kim Diehl's.
Stay tuned on this one.

Fabric Tracking
This is a little tough when making minis.
Much is from my scrap bin but I've also pulled from
my stash.  And backings add up so I'm just going to
estimate 1 yd.  Maybe that's high but as I was cutting,
I kept feeling I was making a decent dent.  
Using up some "oldies but goodies" is always fun.

Over the last few weeks,  11.5 yds found their way into
my stash but I'm still in the negative for the year.
Huzzah!  Except that "-4.22" isn't that great.
I would like for there to be a "0" on the end of that:
-42.20
Now that would be much, much better!
Ever-present in my mind is that shop hop in just
two months.  If that much "fabric used" is going to
happen, there needs to be some serious fast and
furious stitching.  Daily.

Garden Thoughts
August is not a favorite garden month for me.
It's when I start questioning why I even do it.


I'm tired of watching the ladybug v asparagus
beetle battle.  It's just ugly, as are asparagus ferns
this time of year, and I'm wondering what it would
do to them if I cut them off right. stinking. now.
[random evil garden thoughts...]

I'm still seeing a few vine borers here and there,
along with the occasional group of squash bug eggs.
[Come on ladybugs!  EAT!]

Then came 1/2" rain and it cooled off!  It is my
habit to whine about summer at this point but this
mild one is making it rather difficult to be grumpy.


If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen how
hubs and I took advantage of the cool weather.  


We hit the driving range and spent plenty of time
in the pool.  Hubs then treated me to a lovely dinner
al fresco; I figured the least I could do was make
the dessert so, as any good chicken owner, 
I made him crème brûlée [4 egg yolks].

It has been a good time to get in more work on
the front flower gardens that we're switching out
to rock.  There is just so much to remove!  It's a
LOT of territory to cover but, making a dent here
and there will make it all go that much faster in
the fall when it's cool enough to plant and finish.


With some of the mums and other things I was able
to make up my fall arrangements into pots for the
front porch.  Coming from the garden, the plants
already had their own mind but I'm hopeful they'll
grow well and eventually play nicely together.
I'm envisioning a few gourds placed in them
and some pumpkins all around.

So, what should happen in the near future?

West Point Quilt
Complete entire inside portion

Positively Fearless
Finish quilting

Teeny Tiny Quilt Club
Finish latest mini
Until the next one comes out, I'll prob keep finding
more to make.  As long as there are surfaces in my
home to be covered, the madness will likely continue.  

Happy quilting!

Comments

Joyful Quilter said…
LOVE the minis! I haven't made one in a while and you are tempting me with a squirrel moment. I like to use them as mug rugs...coffee, cookies and mini...what could be better!
Linda said…
That little mini is just too cute! I can see why you get hooked on them. When I was a kid, we had volunteer asparagus plants (Mom called them "aspara-grus" bless her heart) and always had a few delicious stalks in the spring. When the ferns came we cut them for flower arrangements. I love reading about your gardens.
Melva said…
Good morning! I am subbing in for Chris Knits for the Tuesday To-Do Party... feel free to join the fun over at MelvaLovesScraps(dot)blogspot(dot)com
Blessings!
piecefulwendy said…
I have the twinsie to that Whatnot, and it's a favorite for fall! That teensie is so darn cute - I'm so tempted, although mine would be very wonky, I think! I'm pretty positive you're going to do well with your goals this week! Those planters are amazing!
Sharon Kwilter said…
Melva Loves Scraps is hosting the Tuesday link up.
We've had some cooler, rainy weather here for a few days, and there's a bit of a fall feel, I've noticed. I don't really mind that! Your minis are adorable and they can be so fun and satisfying. Those are some tiny stars! I never knew ladybugs were a pest - but they eat asparagus?! Interesting!
Sharon Kwilter said…
Whatever size you decide to make it, it will be lovely.
Ivani said…
Your Teeny Tiny Quilt is lovely.
Pretty stars and quilt
Vicki in MN said…
Wow that is a teeny tiny mini!! But oh so stinkin' cute!! You are one busy gal, with some of this and some of that:)
chrisknits said…
Sometimes we ride herd on the squirrels, and sometimes they just take over in a riot of activity and before we know it, all focus is lost!! LOL.
Lynette said…
Oh my word!! Those teeny tiny stars!!!!
Kate said…
The minis are fun and turned out beautifully! Sometimes you just have to play with something new to keep yourself interested in the other stuff on the to do list.