Trying Out Needle and Thread Thursdays

NOTE:  My linkup for week 2 somehow resulted in
 

Hello and, if you are new here, welcome!
Around here we mostly buy too much fabric to make
more quilts than we know what to do with while we
drink our daily coffee.  Sometimes we share things
from the kitchen and, in the warm months, we look
around the garden and check in on the chickens.
And because I'm not the queen,
I should probably stop referring to myself as we.


With January behind me, it feels as if I'm starting to
have some direction again (yes, I took all of January
to find myself after the holidays).  I'm bursting with
hope that this means I'll be so full of quilty productivity
 that I can again fit in a second post every week
 so today I'm joining in a new-to-me link-up:
My Quilt Infatuation (button on side-bar).

If you've been following along, you'll know I've been
working with a whole collection of trimmings that I've
set aside over the last few years.  You know--those little
sets of triangles that are already paired up and would
make great HST's so you just can't bear to toss them
into the trash? 

17.5 x 9

I'm generally a large quilter....er, let me rephrase that.
I'm not exactly small but, well, grammar does matter.
I generally make large quilts but this year I want to
spend some time focusing on getting those minis made
as well so I am here today with my latest squirrel fifth
 mini of the year!  (Doin' great so far, aren't I?)


Having these HST's made up allowed me to whip
up this little runner in less than two hours!
(Note that I hit up my stash of binding scraps
where I came out lucky there, too.)
These HST's are from a quilt that went to my
brother-in-law so this will likely be a gift that
finds its way into that house next Christmas.
The things we can do with scraps! 

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope to see you next
Tuesday when we all check to-do's off our lists
with Home Sewn By Us.  


It looks like I've worked through the obstacles
that came with the snowflake quilt so today, after
brushing up on my paper piecing skills I get to dig in!

(side note: I couldn't get my table runner pic as an
option for my button on the linkup so I had to go with
this snowflake quilt--sorry if that was confusing!)


I also plan to share a few pics of our cadet
taking first in his latest meet.
(But mums the word.  He doesn't like me sharing
pics.  Lucky for me, he doesn't read my blog.)
  See you then!

Happy quilting!

Comments

Kathy E. said…
What a lovely way to use up those HSTs! I'm so happy to see mini quilts and table runners as that's what I'm more apt to make. I really like this layout and now I need to hit up my stash of HSts to see how they'll mingle together. Congrats to your son for his accomplishments!
Sheri said…
Hi. It was nice to find your blog and I am now following you! I love your little table runner with the half square triangles and was happy to find the pattern for Homespun Holiday since I've seen that many times before and always loved it! I love your fabrics and also love Christmas and plan to do something Christmas-y each month. It's so nice to have lots of items at the end of the year to share with family and friends!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Love your newest/fifth mini, and what a great use of those HST pieces that were almost tossed away. Your Cadet son participates in the pole vault? He looks like he was clearing it with ease. ~smile~ Roseanne
I have a shoebox full of HST that are 1 1/2 inch, 2 inch, 2 1/2 inch. I save them, and square them up for a "someday" project. Like your small projects. What a great photo and how amazing an accomplishment for your son.
Wow, look at that high jump! I'm impressed! Your latest tablerunner is just great! I love that you've kept all those HSTs and that it matches another quilt that you've already given your BIL.
piecefulwendy said…
That little runner is so cute, and will be so easy to use in different ways. Glad you were able to figure out the Christmas quilt, too. That is one awesome shot of the cadet!
Su-sieee! Mac said…
Wow, that’s a cool shot of your cadet pole vaulter. :-)
Rebecca Grace said…
Oh, but I LIKE it when you use the Royal We! Queen Cheree has such a nice ring to it, anyway. Your table runner is lovely, but I think your son is your finest accomplishment on display in this blog post. You must be so proud of him!
Needled Mom said…
Your newest mini is just lovely. The fabrics are so pretty in it. Nice form on the pole vaulter, Mom.
Lovely mini quilt, and my, what a great photo of the cadet!!
Kate said…
Very pretty mini. It has to feel good to use up some of those odds and ends from the scrap pile.
What gorgeous quilts you showed in the last post, and this one too is a beauty. You are doing so well with all your stitching. Yes, it is good to have January behind us!
chrisknits said…
I love using up those scraps to make minis! Your table topper is so elegant! Great job.
Cute mini! Congrats to your son.