I Like Thursday #10

"...and Mamma in her 'kerchief and I in my cap
had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap..."
(Original text of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas)


Nap?  Nap!?!
Who has time for napping these last eight
days before Christmas??

Actually I do.  You do.  We all do.
There comes a time every holiday where it
hits me to just stop.  It wasn't always that way.
Or maybe it was and I just didn't pay attention.
It's also easier to stop now because we no longer
have school concerts, sports events etc. going on.

While I'm really on top of Christmas this year, it's the
quilty-blog things that I can't seem to keep up with.
Things like Bonnie Hunter's latest mystery quilt that
I thought I'd finally join...but yesterday came the "stop".
It's not a cold-turkey-stop-everything;  it's more of a 
"step back, re-evaluate and think long and hard before
you start anything new at this point" kind of thing.

Funnily enough, I might keep on going at the exact
same pace but what changes is my perspective.
Nothing else has to be done.
No matter what I choose to take on, has to be
just for fun!
I can do that.

Here are some my likes for today:

1) Snow.


Oh, holy heck (can I say that?), I love me some snow!


Bring it.  ALL OF IT.
After our other son gets home for Christmas. 
That's tomorrow, btw. 

(our mailbox decor)

He goes to Creighton University up in Omaha, NE
and it's amazing how much more snow they get up
there, just 4 - 5 hours north.  I'm always jealous.

2) Homecomings


We hadn't seen our cadet for 6 months till here,
fresh off the plane on Sunday.  One of these days
maybe he'll make his mom happy and wear his
uniform home...but I highly doubt it.  They like to
shed those things the minute they leave West Point.
Anyway, he gives the greatest homecoming hugs.


And he brings home interesting sewing jobs.

3) Big families


I grew up in one, the youngest of 7.  Having only 4,
I didn't quite get as many as we'd like but that's okay.
God knew I'd reached my limit I guess.  That became
more obvious when my back issues started.  However,
we're still growing with marriages and grandkids.

4) Holiday quilts


This is my latest quilt top finish!

5) Playing around.
It's snowing and I'm caffeinated.
Christmas is coming.
Quilts are being made.  Life is good and happy!
So I went outside to get some pics in the snow.


Know what this is?

It's parsley in a pear tree, of course!

Check out the other Thursday likes at

Because next Thursday is Christmas Eve, I will
likely not have an "I Like" post but I'll be back
the following week.

Happy holidays and happy quilting!

Comments

Merry Christmas to you and yours! Stay safe!
A great post, Cheree. Funnily, I'm going through the same thought process of wanting to just enjoy it all, re-evaluate my projects, my priorities, etc. Maybe the end of a year contributes to such thoughts. Meanwhile, Gorgeous photos there of your boy(!) and the stockings. Relax and enjoy this time and the memory making too.
What a fun post! And a happy time with your son back! Love holiday quilts...yours is beautiful! holiday hugs!
grammajudyb said…
You must be so proud of your sons! A West Point Cadet! Impressed! Parsley in a Pear Tree, giggle!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! I love everything about this post . . . but my favorite is seeing your Cadet coming home. And good {{hugs}} . . . aren't they just the best.thing.ever?!! So glad you'll all be together. When does your son graduate from WP? That will be quite a celebration. I love snow, too. Even more so when I don't have to drive in it, like for the next two weeks starting on the 23rd. But naturally, we're supposed to have unseasonably warm weather then. Oh well. It is what it is. ~smile~ Roseanne
PaintedThread said…
Parsley in a pear tree - LOL. What a delightful post. Yes, I'm trying to get the one thing I need done before Christmas done tomorrow so I can just stop... and do as I like. I love the snow here! Your quilt top looks terrific.
The pear tree bit is funny. I seldom have time for BOM's etc. My guilds do LOTS of charity sewing, but I can't always do that, either, since I already have so much on my plate (and working doesn't give me much time). It can be good to say 'Stop'. Merry Christmas!
piecefulwendy said…
You are so funny - parsley in a pear tree - hahahaha! Love that photo of your son strolling toward you. Just the best! Isn't it cool how our hubs/kids think we can fix anything? Love your quilt finish, too! And all those stockings - how fun!
Such a happy post, Cheree! I'm glad you're enjoying some snow and getting your kids home. I, too, keep thinking one year I'll join in with Bonnie's mystery, but so far have never jumped in. They always seem pretty intense to work on!
Carol Andrews said…
Cheree your list this week is too much fun. The snow is a necessity for the holiday season. Your cadet looks like a young man every Mom would be proud of. Who knows but he will wear his uniform just once to make you happy. I almost choked on my tea reading the parsley in a pear tree. Loved it! I, too am saying it’s time to Stop or at least my body is. Every time I sit in my comfy chair for more than 5 minutes I do the nod! 🤔
Joyful Quilter said…
Your Peppermint Pines turned out very cute. Enjoy your family, Merry Christmas and definitely have fun!
Kate said…
Love your snow pictures. I like snow as long as it falls early enough or late enough for the roads to be clear for the trip home for Christmas. Hope all your students got home safely and you are getting lots of hang out time. The SIT is home and has just about recovered from finals. Hope you have lots of joy this week.
Fabulous post. I agree I like it now that the kids are adults, no running to concerts, sports, music and dance practices, working--I do have a hard time transitioning to not caring for someone. Your snow pictures are fabulous! Enjoy the visits from the family! Great likes. For me with my early hours a nap is always in order by the mid afternoon. Definitely need a day I can sit and swill coffee.
LA Paylor said…
lovely... what a fine thing to have a son at West Point... pride... I went to the campus once and it's one of the prettiest spots in the East. Happy holidays my new friend. LeeAnna