The Best Way to Spend October


Here we are at my favorite month!
Of course I have firm plans on how I'm spending it.


Firstly I'll be finishing up this quilt top.


There will be more sashing and 4-patches between the rows
of stars and a fun, patchy border that will make it pop.  
And if I can be really quick, I might even get another top started.

By the way, I emptied another bolt.  That's #3...though I don't
know if 1 and 2 counted because I actually just rolled up some
larger pieces back on them.  Anything over 2 yds I try to keep
on a bolt.  But #3 is officially empty.


Today should be our last "hot" day (upper 80's).
Tomorrow dips a little lower and then we're looking
at some real shop hop weather with 60's and rain.
I'm very excited and ready to buy fabric.
My "shop hop buddy" even created t-shirts
for our annual excursion around central Kansas.


With its leaves and colors, sweaters and quilts,
cooler weather and coffee, October always finds
me smiling.  Except maybe when I get a little
reflective at all the change--and I think change is
never more dramatic in the seasons as it is in the fall.
To add to the reflection, there have been a couple
deaths lately:  the very sudden and tragic loss of a
young woman (30 yrs) and just this morning, a friend
of my husband who lost his battle with cancer.
Both are from our parish.  Both are too young.
Both such wonderful and kind people
touching innumerable lives.

The change of seasons will always be part of life.
It's God's way of reminding us that this one is just
temporary, and quick.  You really just never know when.
Let's make this October count.
Every walk taken and meal prepared,
every flower picked and given.
Every quilt pieced.
Every greeting to a friend and
every goodbye to family.

And when October ends we won't look back
in sadness that it's over but with a soft smile
that it was a month well-lived

Happy October!



Comments

Our weather in Northern Indiana is about the same as yours. I look forward to the cooler temps and we need a frost bad to kill off the mosquitoes. Eastern Equine Encephalitis is pretty prevalent here right now.

I love October. I was born in October and Halloween is my very favorite holiday. I do admit, I am not looking forward to gathering the leaves that will soon be falling.
xx, Carol
Debbie said…
Love that little quilt mini....it does speak of fall. We are still in the mid 90s here for a few more days. Just awful heat. coolness is coming or so they say. Your latest quilt is grand.....it will keep you quilting for a bit I think. enjoy your hop.
Loosing people we care about is hard. Hopefully your October will get better.
Needled Mom said…
It looks like you'll have fun October quilting time.

October is definitely a time for change. I'm never ready to leave my summer behind, but it is part of life. I'm sorry to read about the losses in your life as the seasons change. Those sort of changes are always so difficult.