Working on Autumn Nights


Happy first weekend of fall!
(Around here I celebrate all kinds of things, esp this time of year!)


I had a somewhat-busy week but I was still able to move
things along on my next quilt (Star Patch--MSQC)
I went through my moments of "hmmm, not sure about these
colors" when I was putting my strips into sets of two's.

336 HST's, 168 star corners, 72 4-patches and a ton of 2-patches
that will make up the border scrappy border

I felt a tiny bit better putting them into 4-patches
but it wasn't till I got my first star made that I started
getting excited again.


There is just something about adding in black to a group of colors
that just makes it pop.  At least, it sure does for me.
(Adding black fabrics to my shop hop list)


And here's where I'm sitting on my road to 42 of these stars.
Imagine these colors all looking warmer by the way.
And a little brighter.
They're just on my sewing room floor at the moment.

In making all those HST's, I can't seem to help myself:
I save the trimmings.  Now if I hadn't already cut my
strips and then squares, I would've gone the method
where you make four at once and there is no waste but
I was just happily rotary cutting away and didn't think
of it till later.  

This is a good tip, btw, if you make your own precuts.
Patterns with pre-cuts don't always go the best way.  Always
look ahead to see if there might be a simpler, and possibly
waste-free, method to cut (and sew) your pieces.
You'd think I'd remember this by now but a lot of fuzz floats
around in that room and sometimes it settles on the brain.


Anyway, back to those trimmings.  I have these little guys
saved from both of these fall quilts.
A set of colors/ivory and a set of black/ivory (a different ivory).
I also have another set of these from the first star patch quilt.
Someday I'll play around with these.

October is upon us and that means I really need to start
playing around with Christmas gifts.  Somehow all I can
come up with from the sewing room is table runners and
quilts so far.  We might be doing quite a bit of traveling
so I really need to get some ideas going soon.
I'm practically seeing stars and HST's in my sleep
so maybe I'll filter out anything with those!

Happy fall quilting!

Comments

Joyful Quilter said…
I like making broken dishes blocks from all the trimmed corners. There are so many quilt designs you can make with them. Your second fall quilt is turning out pretty.
Alison V. said…
Very pretty blocks! I love the four patches in the center.