Building America From Scraps

Ok, the heading is a little dramatic but
I'm sure you know where I'm going with it.


Unlike our founding fathers, this is all fun and,
at least so far, I've not had even one threat to my life.

I love our revolutionary history. 
John and Abigail Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin...
such great minds, such work and sacrifice.

Peacefield, the Adams family farm
Taken on our trip to the historical sites at Boston, surrounding area.

Poor John Adams just wanted to live out life on his farm
but he had to set aside his dream many years for a
greater cause.  Occasionally, though, he was able to
retreat there to sift through his thoughts while he
tended the animals and worked the land.


I've been doing a little sifting myself--through the scraps.
Every time I make a scrappy quilt, a controlled scrappy, I
find myself thinking that I really need to do this more often.
It's just. so. fun. and seeing a noticeable dent in the scrap
bin and/or in the regular stash is pretty fun as well.



Standing and cutting for hours on end isn't something I can do
anymore so I took a break and pieced the striped border blocks.


For the next few breaks, I worked on the star blocks for
the border.  I can honestly say that I have never made a
a quilt from the outside in!

So that is my nice, easy-paced start on the America quilt.
The days ahead should bring fantastic spring weather so I'll
probably spend most of my time outdoors but hopefully
I can still get those stars pieced up here and there.

Happy quilting!

Comments

Debbie said…
Great start....on this from the outside in!
That is going to be a nice, scrappy quilt. I can do controlled scrappy, but haven't done just plain scrappy yet.