Road Trip: Fabric for the West Point Quilt

I'm still learning how to use my EQ8 program (thanks Santa!)
but here is a "rough draft" of I'm planning for the
West Point quilt--except I have a change or two.


The blocks are grays--very dark to very light.  I'll be making the
center smaller and the cornerstones will actually be gold stars
I just haven't figured out how to do this on the program yet.

Starting this seemed like a good excuse to head to Missouri Star
so off I went on another trip to Hamilton MO, this time with hubs.
Something to note there, men:  the pub is not open on Mondays!
(poor, poor hubs--at least there was Man's Land!)


There was a biting cold wind and lots of snow--not the best
weather for walking around but I, of course, enjoyed it!


I was more focused on fabrics than the quilts around me so, other
than this stunning quilt above, I took no other pics.  I remember it
being a little more antique-y than in my pic so that it really didn't
seem so much a Halloween quilt; either way, a beautiful quilt!

I wasn't too successful finding what I needed for my son's quilt
but at least I formed a better idea--and I did get a start.  There are
always plenty of shops closer to home so, as long as the weather
is conducive, I'll start hitting some of those later this week.

I did kinda-sorta <wink> find some other fabrics though.
A $3/yd end-of-bolt sale?  I had to look at those and likely
would have purchased more if not for the obligation of taking
the
entire bolt (most were very full).  In my case, this was a
good thing--I'm supposed to be decreasing my bolt stash!


Here's one I found with minimal yardage; very me.
(This would have gone so well with my last project!)


I have a 30's quilt in mind so I picked these up:  
Red/pink:  3+ yards (or a Valentine's Day project?)
Green leaf:  14 yards (yikes!) for backing and maybe a border 
and/or binding...and maybe a baby quilt or two?


have a layer cake and about 4.5 yds (bolt) from the same line
as the above teal w/eggs fabric so I grabbed it up at $5/yd.

The solid gray is for the hexi quilt that my daughter picked out;
I posted a little about this last summer and it's on this year's list.


I've cut out all the main pieces using an 8" 60-degree triangle
ruler rather than a template--that was very worthwhile buy,
even if it's not likely I'll do very much else with it.  I'm not a
ruler-collector but as I hadn't a single triangle already, 
it seemed a good idea.


I just have the background fabrics to cut now, something I intended
on doing but it's been a very lazy day after all of yesterday's driving.
It's also bitter cold and windy so I'm sitting in front of a fire.
I will either continue to be lazy in front of this fire or hop up and
start cutting out more of the hexi quilt.  Decisions...

Happy quilting!


Comments

That West Point quilt will be great.