Healthy Peach-Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast--Make Ahead!

Lots of posts these days, huh?
I guess I've just been so busy in the kitchen that
it becomes pretty important that I 
take some time to get off my feet.


I will admit to doing some of this, too.  Didn't get much
time for it all summer but now that the kids are back 
in school, I've been trying to get some color before
the fall weather kicks in.  You'll notice there is no one
else there.  I go early for just this reason!

And I've been doing a LOT of reading.
One of these days I want to add in book reviews.
Any avid readers out there? 
Did you find any good summer reads?

I know I keep posting this picture but I think it's really pretty!

Today's peach recipe is a real winner. 
If you've got a hectic morning routine, listen up
because you can do most of the work the night before.
And guess what?  It's healthy too!  

 Peach-Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole 
2 c rolled oats 
1/3 c brown sugar 
1 t baking powder 
1 t cinnamon 
1/4 t nutmeg (opt)
1/4 t salt 
1 c walnut pieces (or pecans)
1 c blueberries 
2 c milk 
1 large egg, beaten
3 T butter, melted 
1 T vanilla 
1 ripe peach, pitted and chopped
OR
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices 


The night before:  Generously spray a 9X13 glass baking dish (best if it has a lid).  In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.  Toss in half the blueberries and nuts.  Pour into prepared dish.  Top with remaining berries and nuts.  Cover and place in refrigerator.   To save on dishes, I like to do this next part in a quart jar.  Melt butter in jar in microwave.   Add milk (when you add the cold milk, the butter will harden.  Just swirl it around right away so the particles stay as small as possible.), beaten egg and vanilla.  Put lid on jar and place in refrigerator as well.  Go to sleep and dream happy dreams of yummy breakfast...but set your alarm to get up in time to put this in the oven!

The next morning [insert happily-chirping birds here]:  Remove casserole and jar from fridge.  Cut up banana OR peach (though I suppose you could do both?  Or try other fruits, even--this is flexible) and spread over top of oatmeal mixture.  Lightly shake jar; pour liquid contents over oatmeal mixture, making sure it soaks in thoroughly.  You can give it a gentle shake or even move it around with a fork to make sure.  

Place dish in oven and THEN turn on to 375'.  I just don't think it's wise to put an ice-cold glass dish into a pre-heated oven!  Then you can go off and take your shower while it bakes about 20 minutes or so--till milk is soaked up and oatmeal set--but do not over-bake as it can dry out.  Sorry to be vague about the time but the original recipe used a smaller dish and baked longer.  Who wants that on a busy morning?  So I spread it out in a bigger pan so it'll bake faster.  You can top this with syrup if you like but it doesn't really need it.


Enjoy!

Linking to:
Keeping It Simple



Comments

Debbie said…
Thanks....this does sound yummy!