Mix It Up Monday: (2!) Apple Dip & Pumpkin Pie Crunch Chex Mix

I keep meaning to get something a little gourmet
on here but, you know, it's what I call my
"craft season" so I seem to be making a lot of

quick and easy stuff these days...

I found this first one after I'd made 2 batches
of apple butter and was looking for ways to use it.
The second is on the Chex website but I've changed it. 
Both are super-easy, super-yummy, super-fall snacks!


Creamy Caramel Apple Dip

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c apple butter (kudos if you have the healthier "home brew")
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 t vanilla
chopped peanuts (optional--funny, I've never tried these in it!) 
  • Beat all ingredients till combined. 
  • Serve with apple slices. 
  • Refrigerate any left-overs.  Makes about 2 cups.
I found a recipe similar to this that said it could also be used on bagels so I tried it out the other day.  Eh....not bad, really, but I prefer it with the apples.  Also, you could go "easy" on the brown sugar (my apple butter is pretty sweet so I might try leaving it out altogether).
Pumpkin Pie Crunch Chex Mix
The recipe called for 3 pre-sweetened cereals but I choose to use corn & rice (and generic!) and it's just great.  Wheat would probably work, too, but I haven't tried it.  I also don't stock "pumpkin pie spice" but I put in nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.  I threw in just a handful of candy corns for color but it's sweet enough without.  The recipe also shows to cook it in the microwave but I prefer to cook it in the oven--tho I'm still working on the timing, as you'll see...

1/4 c brown sugar
1 T pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 c butter
2 t vanilla
6 cups corn and/or rice Chex cereal
8 oz pecans

  • Melt butter and pour into large bowl.. 
  • Stir in spices, brown sugar and vanilla. 
  • Stir in cereal(s) of choice and nuts; mix till well-coated.
  • Bake 350' for 5 minute intervals, stirring between.  Should take 15 to 20 minutes but watch closely as it can burn quickly.  At 10 and 15 minutes, I set a few pieces aside to cool for a few minutes.  Then I check to see if mix is nearing crunchy (bake a little more) or is already crunchy (you're good).

Comments

Debbie said…
Got to try these...my husband was drooling.
Miranda said…
Yummy! I've never had home made chex mix but I've heard that it's better than the bagged kind :)
Sheila said…
Going to have to try the Chex mix recipe! I always have extra rice & corn chex after I make regular chex mix :)
annemarie said…
These recipes sound great - thanks for sharing.
I made fall festive food as well - an apple crumble was what we needed around here. It was delicious! I'll have to try your dippers next time.