Monster Mash Blog Hop Day 1: Fallishly Fun Pepitas!


Hello and welcome to the Morning Latte.
 Here we drink lots of coffee and talk about quilty projects.
We also make lists to make sure those projects get done.



Today kicks off the Monster Mash Blog Hop.
For my day to host, I've chosen to go all out pumpkin.
(Not a surprise if you know me.)
First I have a fallishly fun pumpkin quilt to share and then
I'll follow it up with one of my favorite pumpkin recipes.

So hop on in, grab a cup of your favorite beverage and settle in
for some fallishly fun.  When you're done, be sure to check out
 the other blogs joining in today and throughout the week.
(See the list at the bottom of this post.)


If your new here, you should know that fall is My Time.
The weather, the food (soups!), the clothes (sweaters! boots!)
and most especially the colors.  Oh, and the pumpkins.


I like to say I was "pumpkin" way before "pumpkin" was cool.
 (Pumpkin spice lattes weren't a thing back then.)
As a young teen I was buying fresh pumpkins and making
pureé for breads and pies.  But that still wasn't fresh enough.
A few years later I started growing my own,
not just for baking but also for decorating.

One year, I ended up with over 13 bushel baskets of gourds
and smaller pumpkins.  We had lots of big pumpkins too.


I still grow a small variety but I've backed way off the amount.
Taking care of all of that vegetation is a lot of work.
 (The watering, weeding, pests, clean up--oi!)
These days I prefer to spend more time in my quilting studio
(or on the golf course) where I can just sew up some pumpkins.

Here are just a few of my more recent pumpkin quilts:


The Pattern Basket's popular pattern Hocus Pocus.


Last month I made a second one up in these colors.


My version of Farmhouse Fall by Erica Arndt.
(I kinda have a thing for blue pumpkins!)


And this one is from County Seat Quilts, a favorite book. 
 (I"ve made a lot of quilts from this one!)

But hey, enough chatting!  Let's get down to today's feature!
I've been keeping this one on the down-low for weeks but
today I'm excited to show my latest pumpkin quilt!


The pattern is Pumpkin Festival by Corey Yoder.
She typically releases a $5 pattern every month.
(To keep up, subscribe to her newsletter.)


 When this one came up a month or so ago, I knew
immediately that I would name mine Pepitas.


I love all kinds of nuts and seeds but pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
are pretty much my fave (go figure!), esp hulled.
They're great by themselves but I also love them on salads.
(Darn you Target for recently discontinuing them!)



But, I digress.  Back to quilted pumpkins...

My latest fall quilt features eighty-five little pumpkins!
The hop theme is really about anything fall but I decided
this fit in pretty well with "Monster Mash" in that it
turned out to be a bit of a monster of a quilt.


I'm really more of a border kinda quilter so I had to throw on
a couple and then, after quilting, it finished up at 87x105.
It took several weeks to make--especially when, ahem,
I've been traipsing off to the golf course almost daily.
(More on that in tomorrow's post)


When I ran out of fabric for the back and found no coordinating
fabrics in my stash, I made a few extra pumpkins and did what
I could to make it all blend--I think it turned out okay!


The quilting design, West Wind in Autumn, is by Creative Stitches
and I think it softens up the sharper lines beautifully...but then
I'm a little partial to the autumn-themed designs.
What do you think?

I would certainly recommend Corey's pattern,
especially if you're a pumpkin fanatic like me!

Now if you are crazy about pumpkin foods, I'd have to
recommend the following pumpkin bread recipe to you.
Wait--before you think "Ho-hum, another pumpkin bread,"
this one has a twist that takes it up a few notches.
I've made about every version: chocolate chips, nuts,
bourbon, browned butter,  you name it.  The pepitas
just make this one my absolute favorite.

Pumpkin Bread With Chocolate Pepita Swirl
(I think from Midwest Living Magazine?)

1/4 c roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1 c plus 2 T sugar, divided
1 t cinnamon, divided
1/2 t plus 1 pinch kosher salt, divided
1/4 c miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1 c flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
5 T unsalted butter, cut up
2/3 c pumpkin pureé
1 egg
1/3 c milk
1/4 t vanilla extract

1) For swirl:  In a food processor, combine pepitas, 2 T sugar,
1/2 t cinnamon and the pinch of salt.  Pulse until mixture forms
 gritty bits.  Stir in chocolate chips.  

2) Grease 8x4-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
Set oven rack in center position.   Preheat oven to 350'.

3) For bread:  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda,
remaining 1/2 t salt and 1/2 t cinnamon, the ginger and nutmeg.

4) Browning the butter:  In a large saucepan, melt butter over
 medium heat.  Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pan with
silicone spatula, until butter is riddled with golden brown specks,
about 8 min. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining
1 c sugar.   Let cool 5 min.

5)  Add pumpkin, egg, milk and vanilla to butter mixture,
stirring to combine.  Stir in flour mixture just until combined.
Don't fret over lumps.

6) Scrape half the batter into prepared loaf pan.
Sprinkle with the swirl mixture.  Cover with remaining batter.
Use a chopstick or butter knife to carve a few letter s's
through the pan, lightly swirling mixture into batter.

7) Bake until toothpick poked into the center comes out clean,
about 50 min.  Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 mins.  Tip bread
out of pan and cool completely.
(Or if you're me, you'll wanna eat it nice and warm!)

*I recommend Ghirardelli mini chocolate chips

Happy quilting!


Comments

Danice G said…
Oh what fun decor. I love your pumpkin quilts and that candle mat. Great projects.
Carol said…
I LOVE all your pumpkin quilts! And the pumpkin bread sounds delicious--I will definitely be making some! Thanks for sharing.
Linda said…
I love all your pumpkin quilts and share your love for all things fall and pumpkin related! I need to do Hocus Pocus again, since my daughter stole, er, asked for mine after I made it a few years ago. ;) That pumpkin bread recipe looks fantastic!
Calicojoan said…
Well, I sure enjoyed my cuppa this morning while perusing your fabulous pumpkin post. Love all your quilts and the photos of your gorgeous pumpkins are so inspiring. I tried growing them this year and it was a epic fail. Loads of flowers, but nothing else grew. Back to the pumpkin patch for me, next year! Now I'm thinking that a load of bread might just have to be in my future. (later today) LOL!!
Kate said…
You have some really fun pumpkin quilts. Pumpkin festival turned out beautifully and I like how you stretched your backing fabric. The back is almost as fun as the front. Congrats on a very fun finish.
Carol Swift said…
So many amazing pumpkin quilts...wow! Your Pepita quilt is making my head spin with all those tiny pumpkins. It's definitely a monster of a project, but it turned out so amazing. Love it! Thank you for sharing all the pumpkin madness with us.
You know I love your front entry way photo, and all of your pumpkin quilts, too, Cheree! You've outdone yourself with Pepitas. All those little pumpkins with the swirly stars connecting them - beautiful!
Karrin Hurd said…
Beautiful pumpkin quilts, I love them all. I am a fall person too, and love all the colors and pumpkins. I have a bunch of ceramic ones in all shapes and sizes. The bread looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing all your pumpkin-ness!
Kathleen said…
So many pumpkins - both real and in quilts - it is hard to know where to stop looking. The bread looks amazing! Finishing my cuppa as I get through the monster mash - oh and I like the way you worked your pumpkin quilt into the theme!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Eighty-five pumpkins . . . and my favorite are those three on the backing. What a great idea to solve that little problem and no one would ever guess that you didn't intend it to be that way. I love all of your pumpkin quilts. Great job. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
Moira said…
Your quilts are wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
piecefulwendy said…
Fall is definitely your vibe, and this quilt is perfect! I love the fall colors, and all those little pumpkins dancing in the top! Well done! I need to check to see if I have that book . . .
Leah said…
Ooh such wonderful pumpkin goodness! I too was buying pumpkins as a teenager to puree and make into pies, but i did not try pumpkin bread. Sounds delicious.

Thanks for all the pumpkin inspiration. Love your monster of a quilt and the back is fantastic!
Charlene McCain said…
All of your quilts are beautiful! You definitely love pumpkins! Thank you so much for the recipe. It sounds yummy!
Needled Mom said…
This was a great pumpkin post! Love the quilts and your gorgeous pile of gourds and pumpkins. Thanks for the recipe.
LJ said…
So many wonderful pumpkin projects. My favorite is the Hocus Pocus that you shared first. Thank you for the recipe; pumpkin is a winner and the recipe sounds delicious. My husband's most favorite pie is pumpkin. I love that it's easy to make, too.
Love your pumpkins, irl and in quilts!!! This was a fun blog post to read--thanks!
Sharon said…
Your pumpkin quilt are wonderful!
Your pumpkins and all your projects are so beautiful!
Your pumpkin quilts are so perfect for the season! Love your decorating. So cute!
Beth Strand said…
I love all your yummy pumpkin projects! Thanks for sharing!
Danette said…
Your pumpking quilts are excellent!
You are speaking my language! I love fall. The colors, the smell, the temperature but most of all the PUMPKINS/GOURDS. I love them. Your pumpkin quilt is amazing and I love the back with the 3 pumpkins. It gives it so much more interest and makes both sides wonderful to look at.
beaquilter said…
That pumpkin quilt is GREAT and so are all the other projects!
I love fall too with the colors and the sweaters but NOT pumpkin spice anything.....so you can keep that all to yourself :)
But I'd love a cup of coffee!!
tink's mom said…
Wow, what a wonderful collection of pumpkin quilts. The pepita quilt is gorgeous. I''m sure it broke your heart having to make a few more pumpkins for the back. ;-}
Quilting Gail said…
Your latest fall finish has a LOT of pumpkins and certainly looks great! Thanks for sharing all your fall decor! It's inspiring!
Great pumpkin quilts, but I love that swirly leaves quilting design you used. I love pumpkin bread, but I let my son make it (keeps me from eating too much of it). I never see pumpkin seeds anymore. I used to love them.