'23 Tuesday To-Do #43: A Fallishly Fun Big Finish!


Hello again!  As promised, I have a more picturesque
post today--most notably a big ol' quilty finish!
So hop on in and check out the week's progress.

We've had some unseasonably hot weather (ick!) but I think
(dare I say it?) fall is definitely here to stay today!  And what
better way to celebrate rainy fall days than with pumpkins
and a new finished quilt?  Oh, and some coffee.

Let's cut to the chase and get right to the list this morning.
No messing around today.  There are quilts to be made!

* * * Week 43 Priority * * *
Quilt Monster Mash Project, take photos and work on post.
DONE!
I scrambled and made it so!
I'm sharing some of the pics today but if you missed my
post yesterday, my day to host, go check it out here!


"Pepitas" (87x105)

With hubs on vacay, I was able to bring him along
to the photoshoot locale and help me out a bit.


It was actually one of my easier shoots--the furniture was
already moved out of the way for storytime--but it was
still nice to have him there to help me move that monster
of a quilt around, and keep it clean in the process.


I had to get creative on the back to extend that backing
out wide enough, and make it look still part of the quilt.
  I think I've emptied three bolts in just the last few weeks!  Huzzah!
(Er, I may have just purchased enough to counter that but I
couldn't pass up 13 yds of beautiful ivory on ivory print,
a perfect backing for about anything that I could make!?)


The quilting design, West Wind in Autumn, is one
of my faves with those swirling oak leaves.

Another finish in the books.  And guess what?  It sold just
 hours after listing!  Another one that I was just a little sad
to see go so quickly.  I didn't even get to enjoy looking at it!
LOL. But I guess someone else will and that's just fine!

As for my blog hop post, I happily finished it on time
but I really wanted to include a few pics for the 
but I just ran out of time to get one made (See #3!).
  Hopefully soon!

2)  Start on next project


Fabrics are mostly pulled; pretty much my usual for fall.

A customer requested another version of my Cascade quilt.
(I still need good pics of the first one!)

I enjoyed that one very much the first time so I agreed to it
 but only with a couple terms:  no deadline or commitment
 for either party.  There were a few fabric suggestions, one of
which was Kansas Troubles, something I feel I can do without
much added expense since I already have some in my stash,
plus I think my stash has plenty that will coordinate.

3)  Walk the Walk (Golf the Golf)
Continue with the 10K at least 6 days/week.
I'll have some news to share here next week.


I upped my average yet again!
Now I know some of you have commented about my
crazy high step counts so I am here today to announce
the reason I was out there golfing like a maniac:

I played in my first tournament! And our team took 3rd!
Out of 25 teams, and there was only one other woman.


The benefit tourney was hosted by a men's organization in our
parish so it being pretty much all men came as no surprise, but
I think you can imagine my nervousness two months ago when
hubs announced I was to be on his team for this 4-man scramble.
  Because only the best ball of all 4 members' shots is played, this
made sort of no-pressure way for me to try out tournament play.
My advantage to the team is that not only do I get to hit off of the
ladies' tee box, I can typically put the ball out there safely in the
fairway allowing the guys to be more aggressive on their drives.
  I was the back-up man [woman], you could say.  I also played
the part of getting good reads on the putts which, somehow,
I pulled off pretty well for most of the round.  I even saved them
the trouble by just putting a few in myself <wink>.
I did kinda run out of gas toward the end but the guys
assured me I did very well at my job and that I'm invited
back next year.   LOL.  Offer accepted.  Can't wait.

Now you know why I've been playing so much golf!  I'm pretty
 sure I would have anyway because it's so fun but my game has
been really hot and cold, including my drives and putting, so I felt
I should work hard at making sure I could be of use to the team.
If you are a non-golfer and stuck with me through all of that
I greatly appreciate it.   I should probably apologize for so much
golf-talk over these last months but at least now you know why.

4) Continue garden/outdoor clean-up
A lot of progress here but too much to list.  We're getting
close to being ready for winter, though I regret that little
has been done on our garden-improvement project.
It has been a matter of what needs tended to first.

Coffee OR tea, please!

I do want to mention a sage tea that I recently discovered.
This time of year finds me bringing as many of my herbs
in as I can, and also using as much as I can in my cooking.
I'm just certain that's why so many fall recipes are herb-y.

My discovery is that sage has anti-inflammatory properties.
As one who suffers from inflammatory pain, I've been happy
to learn that a basic sage tea is the easiest way to get it
into my diet.  And you know what?  It tastes really good, too!
Not quite the sage-y flavor I was expecting.


Just steep a small handful of sage leaves in hot water
(boiling/almost-boiling) for about 5 mins, strain and enjoy.

Sage grows aplenty in both of my herb gardens that are just
off our decks so fresh sage tea has now entered into my
afternoons.   Does it really help inflammation?  I think time
will tell but I'm positive that it hasn't hurt so why not enjoy it?

Alrighty then!  Let's look on to the week ahead!

First of all, I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief as I think
--knock on wood--
that things will slow down enough for me to hang out in
my quilt studio for awhile.  This puts me into a mixed mood
of wanting to just really go at it, but then also wanting to
just chill and enjoy an easier pace.   So it is with those opposing
thoughts in mind that I made my list of to-do's for next week:

* * * Week 44 Priority * * *
Work on Cascade #2
I remember the first one flying together so here's
hoping this one does too.

2) Start on Thanksgiving Blog Hop project
Yep, here I go with another secret project!

3) Garden clean-up
  Pick all peppers and mostly-ripe pumpkins.  The forecast is
showing a low of 33 so it's time to bring things in. 

4) Walk the Walk
I'm pretty sure this will be the week I slow down, especially
with all the rain in the forecast.  Not overly worried about it...
as long as I can stay motivated to hop on the treadmill.

Catch you all next Tuesday--Halloween!
Happy quilting!

Comments

Kate said…
You definitely nailed the autumn vibe with the pull for your next project. Enjoy both the chill and spending time in your sewing room. Rainy days are the best sewing days.
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Big congrats on that golf tourney. I can just imagine the pressure you felt - and coming in THIRD is just FAB. {{Hugs}} I suspect your step count would have been that high without the upcoming tourney as you just love golf that much. This weekend and next week hold our first real threat of frost near Lake Michigan, but I'm ready for it. All my outside work is complete! I look forward to seeing the next Cascade version. Congrats on the quick sale! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
piecefulwendy said…
Quilting and golf - what fun! Oh, and a sale, too! And I really, really like that mug (haha)!
And you were worried about that golf tournament. Great showing! Interesting about sage tea. I really like the backing you put on the pumpkin quilt.
Big congrats on two fronts...such a beautiful fall finish there, stunning actually. And with all the steps and tournament playing. I used to play golf and enjoyed it very much esp. when playing Best Ball too. I wasn't great but would always have a stroke or two that would encourage me to keep playing. But being out in beautiful surroundings in the fresh air is addictive too.