A Family Favorite: Cuban Black Beans & Coconut Cilantro Rice

Hello there on this Monday afternoon!


I'm popping a little early this week to share the recipes
that I mentioned in my post last week.  These are taken
from Farm to France by Bonnie Aeschliman, a favorite
cookbook that is no longer in print
(So I hope I'm okay sharing them!)


I received my long-awaited copy and have been enjoying pouring
over the pages.  It is organized more by regional menus than by
dish categories so if you read last week's post, you'll know that is
right up my alley.  It's also a nice way to read through a cookbook.
That is, if you're foodie-nerdy and into reading cookbooks like me.
(Note:  not recommended while dieting!)

This dish is a family favorite.  And wonderfully quick!
I especially like to make it when hubs is making his carnitas
but it can go with so many Latin dishes.
If we're serving guests, I'll make the salsa early and keep it
ready in the fridge; I also do the veggie prep early and just
have everything laid out--much like a cooking show.
I do not like to cook in front of people but this one is simple
and I've found that guests kinda like to see some action.


The rice also can be made just a little early and kept warm.
If you are not a coconut fan, do not be deterred by the use
of coconut milk.  It is unsweetened and you'll be surprised
by the amazing flavor it adds.   You might find, like we have,
 that it can go with about any meal so consider leaving out
 the cilantro if that doesn't fit the cuisine.


Cuban Black Beans
2 T EVOO
1 red (or yellow or orange) bell pepper, cut into thin short strips
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
2 16-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 T white wine vinegar
1/4 t cayenne pepper
3 to 4 T minced fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Tomato Salsa
2 c diced tomatoes
1/4 c  chopped green onions
1 T chopped cilantro
1 T fresh lime juice
2 T EVOO
Salt & pepper

*My notes on the ingredients:
I like to make the beans from dried for better flavor and a
colorful mix of peppers is so much prettier!  I love texture
 so I cut the onions similar to the pepper strips.

1) For the Beans:
Heat oil in a large skillet over med heat.   Add peppers, onions and garlic.
Cook 1-2 mins, stirring frequently.  Add black beans, vinegar and cayenne.
Bring mixture to a boil.  Simmer 2-3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
Top with cilantro.

2) For the Tomato Salsa
Combine all tomato salsa ingredients in a small bowl.

3) To serve
Place a mound of Coconut Cilantro Rice (recipe below) on plate;
top with beans and garnish with Tomato Salsa.  Makes 6-8 servings.

Coconut Cilantro Rice
2 T veg oil (I just use EVOO)
2 c long grain rice (I use basmati)
2 c chicken broth
1 14-oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 t ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper

Place oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add rice; cook 1 min.
Add chicken broth, coconut milk and cumin.  Bring to a boil, reduce
heat and cover; simmer for 20 mins or until rice is cooked and liquid
absorbed.  Season with salt and pepper and lightly stir in cilantro.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I'll see ya all tomorrow for Tuesday To Do!
Happy cooking and quilting!

Comments

Linda said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Oh this all looks so good. We just bought basmati rice for the first time (feeling shame) and I know (in spite of him saying he "doesn't like" certain things) Hubs will love this. The beans sound so good, and I'll love them just like that, but Hubs will only eat beans if they are refried. Does that make sense? LOL!