Week 31: Just Get Through August

Hello there!  Welcome to the weekly check-in with

Anyone else kinda dislike August?
Especially the horrid, hot, triple-digit weather?
At least now fall is around the corner.  July is done,
school is starting, here comes September... All of that,
along with getting early-fall decor out and making
fall quilts, all help to get me through the month.

My main focus last week was my first fall quilt of the year:

* * * Week 30 Priority * * *
Piece "Poolside"  Sweater Weather:  DONE.
With these colors, a new name was a must.


This one is getting set aside while I wait for border fabric.

2) Fair Isle Friends
Find border fabric--Not done.


Fair Isle friends is also still waiting for border fabric.
I guess I'm too lazy to drive 15 minutes to go find some.
Well, it's more like I don't want to go anywhere in this
heat.  I think we can all understand that.

3) Photograph quilts and list--not done.
Does anyone really think I'm going to do
photo shoots in this oven (105 today!)??
(Anyone sensing I don't like the heat?)

On the positive side is my list of hopefuls for next week:

* * * Week 31 Priority * * *
Find border fabric(s) and finish Sweater Weather top

2) Find border fabric and finish Fair Isle Friends

3) Start next quilt


The fabric is pulled and ready to cut.

4) Start fall decorating
You'd think as a quilter, I'd just make some decor.
Nope, too busy making quilts to sell I guess.
Anyhoo, I'll start bringing things out slowly.

A quick note on the garden scene:  things are buggy.
Vine borers (I found something that works!) and squash bugs.
All are under control but it's a battle.  As are the weedy paths
that I'm just trying to keep them contained.  My hands/arms
just can't do what they used to.  The new garden layout will
solve a large part of this problem.  But that is a multi-year
project--one we're not in a huge hurry to do.

I'm relieved that I planted a minimal amount of everything.
The tomatoes are producing more than we need.  The onions,
squash, peppers, scallions, eggplant, potatoes and all the herbs
are gracing the table.  The pumpkins and gourds are thriving.
The squash bugs haven't found them.  But oh, they will. 
Any day now.  Diatomaceous earth to the rescue.
 And hand-plucking.  I will have my fall porch decor!

Happy quilting!

Comments

Your two quilts are beautiful, and I love your fabric selection for the new project!
the heat is too much - it is very hard to keep up with a garden when it is so hot that after 5 minutes in the garden you feel like you will drop
Beautiful quilts and I love the name sweater weather for a quilt! Have a wonderful day!
grammajudyb said…
I can’t really identify with the hot, humid heat of which you speak! We once in awhile get triple digits, but not often! It has finally gotten warm enough that gardens are flourishing! 89; 87; and 70 are the forecast highs for the next three days!
Love your Sweater Weather quilt. Fall is my favorite season, even if it is the prelude to cold winter!
Kate said…
You had a good week even if you didn't check off all your to do list. Sweater Weather turned out beautifully. Happy stitching this week. Stay cool and hang on, hopefully August temps will back down from what they've been in July.
Sweater Weather is the perfect name for that color combo! It's a beautiful design. I'm not ready for sweater weather for real, but reasonable temps would be lovely, lol! Good luck with the bugs in the garden. We seem to be having a grasshopper invasion here, ugh!
Kathryn T said…
Sweater Weather is just gorgeous I love those kind of autumn colours. Ha August is a favourite with me because winter is coming to an end and Spring is around the corner!!
August certainly is a hot month here as well. But at least we can sit inside and enjoy quilting and stitching. Sweater Weather looks amazing. Great job. Sounds like your garden is very productive this year as well. Have a great week, Cheree.
Sharon - IN said…
Both quilts are lovely. Hope you beat the heat and find the right border fabric. Here we got up into the 90s last week, this week the evenings are cooling off. That might be what I like about August. Cooler evenings.
piecefulwendy said…
I'm glad you've found something that works for those garden pests. I am sitting here, telling myself to get out and walk before it gets any hotter. Really looking forward to those cool fall days. Your projects are looking great, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new project emerge!
chrisknits said…
Sweater Weather, perfect!!! Love it!
Sweater weather is a good name. I'm glad you are getting produce. My son planted a garden (like he usually does) and we've gotten one zucchini, 2 yellow squash, a couple of bell peppers, some tomatoes and okra (the only plant that is doing great). There are multiple plants for each veggie except the okra. Nothing seems to be growing this year.