Tuesday To-Do #34: In My Two Weeks Away...

November!?
Holy flying calendars, Batman!


Welcome to another round of to-do's on the

Frankly, I'm tired.  Tired with a capital T.
I travelled to NY.  I've played a lot of golf.
I've sewn and quilted my heart out.  I made
a costume and I made some family meals.
And I ate way too much Halloween candy.
Yes, I did skip two weeks here but I am no
"to-do" quitter [clearly!!] so let's do this!

From last week's list:

1) Quilt Indian Popcorn; settle on a name
DONE!


Sheesh!  It seems like eons ago when I finished
this but I guess it was just a couple weeks?


 It finished up at 74 X 85.5. 


 I stuck with November Stars for the name.
(I don't think anyone looks at the labels anyway!)


I chose simple swirls for the quilting, looking
for a feel of the wind swirling leaves around. 
And yes, I even got the photo shoot done.

Both #2 and #3 on my list are from the same
pattern:  Wooded Whimsy by Corey Yoder.
See below for some notes.

2) Finish Christmas quilt top #1; name
DONE!


Festive Firs -- 66 X 77.5
(I still need to get pics in the correct lighting
so it actually shows as white.)


These were just quick ones on our front porch.
(Pumpkins aren't very Christmas-y!)

Noteworthy:  this pattern only uses 30 strips, and
there will be scraps left from those as well   In retrospect
I might have just cut my own strips because I enjoy that.
I ended up making good use of the scraps at least
by putting them on the binding.

3) Start piecing Christmas quilt #2; name
DONE!
Joyful Junipers won't be far behind;
I'm waiting till next week with the pics

Noteworthy #2:  This is a super-fun pattern but be prepared
 for the tiny piecing in those stars to slow it down a bit.
I recommend using sizing on not just the stars but also the
the strips since you'll be sewing on them diagonally.
I did a test and it makes a solid difference!

Other things:


Last Thursday we joined up with our other son at
the Chicago airport and flew on together to NY.


As always, West Point Parents Weekend hits right
at peak fall foliage so I was in absolute heaven.


Jaw-dropping scenes every. where. requiring 
occasional reminders to close my mouth before
I drooled.  There's just nothing like fall up there.
End of story.

But not this story...


We visited our some of our favorite restaurants...


....and distilleries....
(I just love Bourbon the chonky cat!)


...took in a football game (we won!)....


....and even got to sit in
be wow'd by one of the cadet's classes.


Coincidentally it was the cadet's day to present.


I say it all the time but it's just overwhelming.


We knew Older Brother would enjoy a visit to the
simulation rooms, too.  Above real guns are hooked up
for practice--minus ammo but with all the feel.


At this station cadets pair up with media students from
 NYU.  While the officers learn to immerse them safely
(as possible) into aggressive situations, the reporters
get a feel for real-life battle and how best 
to conduct themselves while getting the scoop.


Complicated programs but still your basic gaming control!
I found this amusing.  I don't think too much of gaming
but note to parents:  military kids actually use those skills!


After a full weekend of fun, the cadet had to get back to
class and hubs and older son had to get back to work.


To kill some time on our way to the airport, we made
a quick stop to walk around Bear Mountain State Park....



...and through Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. 



 We discovered several years ago how beautiful
 it is, especially at this time of year.  



We drove by the grist mill of the famed
Legend of Sleepy Hollow.


And then went for some NY pizza. 


A good ending to another NY trip.

 

I think the cadet really enjoyed having his older
brother see what he's been up to these last years
and I'm so glad we were able to bring him along.

The next family visit will be graduation.  I'm sad
our oldest will likely not get the full experience but
she's currently growing a little human.   I think all of
us moms have had times where we've missed out
but that pays off later.  In my case, I look back
and know it was always worth it.  I feel pretty
blessed with our four "little humans" for sure! Lol.

Back home I got right back in the sewing room.
I finished up the first Christmas quilt and made great
progress on the second.  And over the weekend I
walked three rounds of golf (over 20 miles!), did
a little more garden clean up and made a
Halloween dinner for the fam.

And now it's time to look at the first week of
November already!

1) Photograph Festive Firs and list in shop

2) Finish Joyful Junipers

3) Start on daughter's winter themed quilt.

And that's that.
I'll see you all next week!
Happy quilting!

Comments

Linda said…
November Stars is so pretty with those rich tones. Festive Firs is a cute pattern, great scrappiness! Could you and your family be any easier on the eyes? Sheesh you are all so good looking! Your NY trip looks like a dream, thank you for sharing those beautiful photos, and how special to see your son presenting a class. Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!
Carolyn said…
What wonderful quilts, and a wonderful trip! I really enjoyed the pictures of the foliage. Unfortunately, we don’t get the fall scenery in South Texas, and I have to enjoy it through pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Looks like you had a great trip to NY! And so great that older brother could go along, too. I always love seeing your quilts, whether in progress or finished. Festive Firs is so fun!
Ivani said…
Looks like you enjoyed the trip as much as you could. Love the autumn trees pictures. Your quilts are awesome, so beautiful. Have a great week!
Michelle said…
Indian Popcorn is a fantastic finish! I’ll be pinning this beauty. Festive Firs is so fun and cheerful.

Kathryn T said…
No wonder you are tired with a capital T. What gorgeous eye candy with all those beautiful autumn leaves, to say nothing of the quilts. Love the quilting. Indian Popcorn - suits the quilt.
Bonnie said…
Perfect time to visit upstate NY. None of my kids were into gaming but I know the skills can be used with drones. Early congrats on becoming a grammy.
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! November Stars turned out so lovely. Seeing the closeup details makes me want to run right into the sewing room and start cutting. Festive Firs is fab, too. I just love the colors in that quilt. It's holiday but not scream in your face holiday. WOWEE - what a whirlwind weekend. How great that both boys could see each other, and The Cadet in action. Yowza, that computer program looks really nifty. It's hard to believe the next big event is graduation. That time has flown by. Good luck with your list for the week. I think there is more golfing in your near future with the nice weather we're having this week. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
grammajudyb said…
Thank you thank you for sharing your adventures while away! I’ve never been to NY in the fall! I hope we can someday soon. Our youngest granddaughter ( she is 29) is living in Vermont. We’ve not been there either. I love seeing all your photos! And now Christmas quilts! Festive Firs is adorable! Can wait to see Jolly Junipers !
Vicki in MN said…
Holy buckets you packed a lot of things in two weeks! When you get home from a trip does it take you a while to get back in the swing of normal life?
The perfect Parents Weekend! You did so much and oh the leaves are perfection! Fall is my favorite season and you've shown why. Your quilts are a joy. Thanks for sharing on the 300th edition of Wednesday Wait Loss.
Susan said…
Two lovely quilts, and great pictures of your visiting. I love seeing places I'll never be able to go on my own, so thanks for sharing both quilts and places.
Needled Mom said…
Your trip was amazing. I love those autumn colors in your quilt. It’s a shame we move so quickly into Christmas decor as I could enjoy those colors much longer. The trees make such a cute quilt too.