Help! Sewing Machine Repair Issue

As you know I took my machine in for a tune-up.
I should mention that, though it has been running fine, the
needle position has been off for over a year.


I just easily adjusted it every time I turned it on.
I have an Elna Excellence 720, 4 years old.  (Posted here)
What I did not expect was for the repairman to call and say he
was unable to fix it.  His suggestion?  That they mail it off
to Janome....and I might get it back in about 30 days.
Um....what?

Let me back up and provide some more info.
The original man who sold me this machine was the
co-owner (with his wife) and repairman of the store.
I would have trusted him with my machine.
Unfortunately, he passed away a little over a year ago.
It took several months but the wife eventually
hired a new repairman who spent another few weeks
undergoing training for specific machines.


A friend of mine took hers in last year and still has not
seen her machine, but because they gave her their floor
model that is exactly what she had, she chose to just give up.
This is actually why I waited another year before I took
mine in; I wanted to make sure he had experience first.

The last thing I want to do is ship my machine off 
but maybe if they give me my exact machine to use?
I do plan on getting on the phone and calling around to see
if there are any other repairmen the stores in some
of the smaller towns around here that could fix this problem.
That would involve a drive, though I don't mind if it's not too far.
There are two other places in our city but I haven't had good
luck with either in the past...though that has been a good 20
years or more.


Any thoughts on this?
Maybe my biggest question is:  Is this normal for the newer
electronic machines?  To ship them off??
I can't imagine doing this, especially now!?
At the time of year I do about 90% of my sewing!?

Comments

Debbie said…
NO, it is not common around here even for electronic/computer machines. It's not the machines problem, it sounds like the under trained repairman has the problem. Is there no one else in the area to repair machines.
You need a certified Elna repairman. You might have to contact Elna online to see if there is a certified repairman near you.
Sarah said…
Finding a good tech is very important and not always easy. I'm more than happy to drive the 1.5 hours to Amish country for a man who makes appointments and will have the tuneup done in 3 hours than drive the 45 minutes to the dealer who will get it back to me in several weeks. The Amish man even offers a map of local eats and quilt/fabric shops to entertain us while we wait. On top of that, it's wine country! A good deal all around.