Corsican Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

I'm a big fan of the crockpot, but it doesn't 
always work well with certain foods. 
Chicken breasts really tend to dry out in a 
slow-cooker...but not so much with chicken thighs.
Because of the better flavor, I've been using
thighs in more and more of my cooking.
For example, in Corsican Chicken, 
I use a mix of whatever I have on hand.




I discovered this recipe in a cookbook from the library.
I cannot tell you how simple this one is to fix!
Okay, maybe I can.  


Other than a trip to your herb garden and roasting the 
peppers, which only takes a few minutes of your time,
(I find this technique to be fun.  Roasting veggies brings out  a great flavor that 
I like to use in other recipes as well!  Just yesterday I roasted jalapeños--
I hope to share that recipe soon, too!  The roasting method is below the recipe.) 
you pretty much just throw these ingredients into
the crockpot and walk away...
come back later to thicken the sauce and voila.
Pour some wine.  Take a trip to France
right there in your kitchen. 

Fresh. Simple. Delicious.
Bon Appetit!

Corsican Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Taken from The French Slow Cooker  Michele Scicolone

3 to 4 lbs chicken breasts/thighs
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1/2 c chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 c thinly cut strips of roasted red bell pepper*
1 T chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 c chicken broth
1 T cornstarch mixed into 2 T cold water
Fresh chopped basil to taste (I have plenty growing so I use at least 2 T)

Place chicken in large crockpot and season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with garlic.  Add tomatoes and a little of their oil, the peppers, rosemary and broth.  Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until chicken is tender and cooked through.  With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a platter; cover to keep warm.  Pour the remaining liquid into small saucepan and spoon off fat.  Bring juices to boil over high heat.  Stir the cornstarch mixture into the juices.  Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.  Taste for seasoning.  Stir in basil and pour the sauce over the chicken.  Serve hot.  
NOTE:  Recipe actually calls for bone-in for better flavor.  If you choose this, remove the skin first

*To roast red peppers, cut one pepper in half & seed.  Place a piece of foil on a small cooking sheet; spray lightly with non-stick spray.  Broil till skins are blistered & blackened.  (Ovens vary and depending on how close you place them to the heat, this can take just 5 to 10 minutes or so).  Immediately place the pepper halves in a zip-loc baggie and seal.  After "steaming" for about 10 minutes, the skins will peel off easily and discarded.  This step can be done well in advance and the roasted peppers kept in the fridge.  If I have plenty of peppers, sometimes I'll do a batch at a time to cook with throughout the week.

Comments