Chicken & Gnocchi Soup

I love soup!
Here's a favorite.  A little heavy, but sooo good.
I think it's a copy of Olive Garden's but I have no
idea where I got it so I cannot give proper credit.

chicken and gnocchi soup

I love making pasta but have never made gnocchi.
I have always wanted to, though--maybe soon?
Did you know they get their lines
from being rolled on a fork?
Btw, today, I'm making the last two blocks of my
scrappy stars!  What are you up to?

 
Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
  • 1 to 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 c celery, finely diced
  • 1 1/2 c onion, finely diced
  •  3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 T butter
  • 4 T flour
  • 1 qt half n' half
  • 1 can (or 2 c) chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 c carrots, finely shredded (we like them chopped)
  •  1 c fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 t thyme
  • 1/2 t parsley
  • freshly grated Parmesean cheese (opt)
  • 1 lb gnocchi
Sauté the onion, celery, and garlic in the butter and olive oil, over medium heat.  When the onion becomes translucent, add the flour, and make a roux.  Let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding 1 quart of half and half.  Once the mixture becomes thick add the chicken broth. Heat through; add in carrots and chicken.  Cook gnocchi according to package directions (lightly salt water)
Once the mixture thickens again, add the cooked gnocchi, spinach, and seasonings, simmer until soup is heated through.   You may want to add salt to taste.  Makes 6 servings


As with all recipes, I think it makes a huge difference to use home-made chicken stock if you have it; fresh herbs when in season.  GRILL the chicken!  The smokey flavor really adds to the recipe.  All of these take this recipe from "good" to "fantastic"!   We also keep a pepper mill at the table for this one--most of us like it topped with that, and freshly toasted bread cubes/croutons. 

 

Comments

Oh my goodness, that sounds wonderful!
Sheila said…
That looks yummy, and I might just try it out this weekend with all the leftover grilled chicken from last night!
Gail said…
That looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, I'm always looking for new recipes to try out. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Gail
annemarie said…
This sounds so good - love Olive Garde I love soup and could eat it everyday!