Welcome to week 41!
I have mixed feelings about how close it's getting to the year's end.
On the one hand, I've only completed a fraction of the quilt work
I anticipated getting done for the year.
Todays sneak peak:
Basement living room; my quilt studio doorway is to the right
But on the other hand, the end of the year will finally have us in
our new home. I should just put my head down and sew like mad.
Time never flies so fast as it does while sewing and one day
I'll look up to see we've moved in.
Last week was certainly fun enough to make the time fly.
I finished piecing the blocks for my latest project and enjoyed
the local shop hop (sadly down to only 8 shops).
To prepare for shop hop, I usually line up my next few projects
to tackle but this year I had a little too much fun getting ready.
The short story is that I now have about 15 projects lined up.
Fifteen! I bagged some of them up with precuts, backings and/or
or other fabrics that I wanted to set aside for each. Mostly this
is me on a mission to use up my precuts that seem to be getting
a bit out of control but I'm loving how handy I made things for
myself, especially while in a temporary studio. This might be a
system I adopt for good.
It sounds crazy to say I'm shooting for tackling every one before
Christmas. But remember, I'm without a design wall so I'm making
blocks and likely stopping there on every quilt until next year.
I hate leaving projects half-done but there is no other option.
Don't freak out, this is pure Chat GPT! The arrangement is not
what I have in mind but I still find it fun to look at.
I keep joking that my new studio is going to be so lovely I won't
want to leave it all winter anyway so I'm just getting prepared for
my own little Quiltmageddon. (Oh, I'm totally using that name!)
Dear Lord,
A few blizzards in January would be ever so lovely!
Thanks in advance!
--Me
Back to the shop hop confession time: I bought 33 yards of fabric.
And as you know, I shop the clearance racks so every one
of my finds was in the $6-$7.50/yd range. Go me.
(I could whine out something like, "Remember when that was
the reg price of quilt fabric?" But I'll zip it and just be grateful!)
First up, here's enough of this lovely Edyta Sitar fabric to back
yet another red/ivory quilt. Can't seem to get enough of those!
From top down:
Green--just a yard for my stash
Yellow check--backing for a planned fall quilt
Yellow plaid--backing for a planned fall quilt
Blue flannel print--backing for a Woolies flannel fall quilt
Here I really scored. Remember the estate sale I mentioned in my
last post? Two of the Jo Morton charm packs I got there are from
different but coordinating fabric lines. I was not expecting to find
coordinating fabric but I was keeping an eye out just the same and
lo, behold: TONS of yardage from the Adamstown line! I picked up
2 yds of the top print (border?) and 8 yds of the bottom (stripe) to
use for a backing. Now I just need to settle on a pattern!
And so, the latest fabric tracking damage report:
Fabric in: 143 yds
Fabric out: 35.6 yds
I have so much work to bring that ratio back in line before the
end of the year but least I made a decent effort last week.
For my current quilt I made 21 more blocks bringing me up
to the required 35 for the Studio Star quilt (BLOCK Vol 3, Is 1).
They're now packed away, added to the growing pile awaiting that
design wall. "Fall Frisson", as I'm referring to this one, is made in
Pam Buda's Cheddar & Coal III.
Of course I didn't see any of that on the clearance racks but
I think my stash has some options for me to finish this one.
For my next quilt trick, I'm playing with Kansas Troubles fabrics.
As a good Kansas quilter, I have lots but it's time to thin 'em out.
Until next time, happy quilting!
PS, Some have asked about our move-in date.
My one stipulation was to be well-settled BEFORE Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately, we're now looking at a few days before Christmas.
Obv we're not happy about it at all but doing our best to roll with it.





Comments