'24 Tuesday To Do #7: Starting Other Things But Still Gettin' Scrappy With It

It's Tuesday again so time to link up and report in.
When you're all through here today, hop on over to
to see what everyone else is up to and maybe 
you'll be inspired to do some doing today!
(Okay, did that sound too awkward?)

It was an up and down week, especially with the sewjo.
I did make pretty good strides with my priority and
 that has me satisfied with the week overall.

* * * Week 6 Priority * * *
1) Finish all 80 Stars


DONE!  And I sewed up the entire center of the quilt.  (Woot!)
 (approx 2,000 pieces)
Now to slip in an extra border to increase the size.


I played with some ideas but I still can't decide if I want to
piece one, which would keep with the scrap-happy feel that
I'm really liking, or just take the easier way out with a simple
solid strip before I add that flying geese border.

2) Recommit to decluttering--DONE.
I'm still following my one item/day rule but we tackled the
family game cabinets over the weekend and purged about
80%, most going to the kids and grandkids.   Success.

3) Get back on the treadmill
Actually, I've been walking outside which is better but I'm still
not hitting my goal of 10k six days/week.  With the snow & rain,
vacay and then a small shoulder procedure, I haven't golfed
in almost 2 months--and I could not be more ready to get
back at it.  Those 20k+ days aren't far off but right now I need
to figure out how to get all 6 days of this in.

4) Make Super Bowl food for the fam & watch the Chiefs win!


How 'bout those Chieeeeeefs!?

Carnita meat, fresh tortillas, homemade refried beans,
guacamole, fresh salsa, steak queso (on the smoker)
 and all the other fixings for a whole Mexican theme.
I finished it off with sopapilla cheesecake bars and
buckeye brownies.

From Thanksgiving to Superbowl, I feel like it's been one
big excessive celebration.  The simplicity and structure
 of Lent could not be more welcome.  Bring it on!

Looking to next week:
* * * Week 7 Priority * * *
1) Finish Blog Hop quilt project #1


I will be participating in the VRD Blog Hop in mid-March.
Because project-stress takes the fun right out of quilting, I'm
intent on getting it done early.  My indecisiveness over the star
borders wasn't sitting well with me so I set it aside and started
on this one.  Obviously I can't share it but my goal is to finish it
this week...and then decide if I want to make a bonus one.

2)  Work on border ideas for star quilt

3)  10k+ steps/6 days & Detox session

All of the poor eating has my pain/inflammation peaking,
and a sinus infection threatening to boot.  Enough is enough!
It's detox time.  My regimen is so extreme that full workouts
are discouraged for the first two weeks.  Breaking through the
zero-sugar (and I mean ZERO) response those first few days are
key for me but I'm still going to find a way to get the steps in.

And that's it for me.  Until next week, happy quilting!

Comments

Melva said…
I love your stars. I think a narrow border of the background fabric would be lovely. Then the scrappy FG. Y
If you still want it a little larger, add a final background border the same width as the FG with a scrappy binding. Good luck with your detox. 🙏 Those few days are brutal.
Thanks for joining my Sew and Tell party.
Linda said…
Your stars are gorgeous! That is going to be an awesome finish.
Sorry to hear about the shoulder procedure, but I hope it will simply increase the length of your drives on the golf course. :D
I feel your pain on the treadmill and excessive celebrating. I was doing so well until Thanksgiving, when I fell off the wagon and didn't get back on. I started a beta blocker about the same time, and I have put on 10 lbs since Thanksgiving. My doctor says I am still well within the BMI limits, and he won't let me blame the beta blocker (darn!), but he did tell me to follow the DASH diet and increase my treadmill time. So I'm going for an hour plus on the treadmill, but man it is hard, hard, hard to cut out so many fats and the sugars that I so love. :( Wishing you the best of luck with your detox! (I've never tried that, but I might look into it.)
Linda said…
I forgot to say, wow on the Super Bowl menu. That smoked steak queso sounds AMAZING!
piecefulwendy said…
You really went to town on those stars - I'm amazed you have the top pieced and are ready to add borders. Love the look of the FG border, but glad it's you making them and not me! LOL!
Chrisknits said…
I'm drooling over here with that menu!! Sopapilla Cheesecake bars!!! I used to make Sopapillas!! Now I must find that recipe. Good luck with your list, you always amaze me with your productivity.
Kate said…
You made amazing progress with the stars, that is such a fun scrappy quilt. I always struggle with deciding to piece a border, sometimes I just want it done. I'm still trying to get my steps up too, the holidays and winter pretty much killed my walking. Good luck with your efforts to get back to it and good luck with the detox.
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! Yippee for completing all 80 stars!! I think you have to continue the pieced border before the flying geese . . . but then again, I can visualize it with a solid too. Either one would work! Take the easy way or use up scraps - you can't go wrong with a winner quilt top. The bones are fab either way. Yup - I agree on the excessive celebration. We can commit to healthier eating more easily because of two reasons. First, Sue is diabetic type-II so we always watch carbs, sugar, etc. If she doesn't she notices it first in her eyes. Secondly, Sue got sick for a good week. That cut down on her eating . . . and I'm not eating by myself. HAHA! I am happy that Lent is starting too for the same reasons. Woohoo! You're playing along in the VRD blog hop?! I think it will be a blast. We just started cutting our fabrics, etc. Good luck with your detox - sending you good vibes for success. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
That's a LOT of pieces, Cheree, but what a gorgeous quilt you will have!! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.
You always have such fabulous projects, Cheree. This is a beauty! I wish you a fabulous week. Looking forward to seeing what you work on in the Villa Rosa Blog Hop.