Tuesday To Do #33: High Boltage and Upping My Game

Hello and welcome to another Tuesday post!
 I've been putting in long hours in the quilt studio
over the past week and I'm anxious to join the
others on Texas Quilt Gal's link-up and show
a little of what I've been up to.

As predicted, the week was filled with golf,
quilting and the the annual shop hop.

My quilty friend and I head always get an early
start so that we can visit all the shops in one day.


The first shop snapped this of us and posted it
to Facebook.   Later in the day at another shop,
 someone recognized us from the post and we had
a good laugh about being shop hop celebs.
 (We even offered to autograph their hop passports.)


The early pics have lighting issues due to the morning
sun shining in but I think you can see well enough.


Participating shops each create a block and then
designs a quilt around all the shops' blocks, using
a fabric created specifically for that year's hop.


Each shop sells a kit for their block as well as
a finishing kit for their specific quilt design.


I usually take lots of pics to share on the blog
but this year I chose to relax a little more.  


The above 4 are the only ones I have of the
actual hop quilts.  Below are a few others that
I snapped just for fun. 




One of these days I'm going to make a leaf quilt!


I made a paper-pieced snowflake quilt a few years ago
(sold on Etsy) but I'd like to give these a go.  At least
I wouldn't have to deal with the paper mess.


Ah, the Simple Whatnots Club.  I admire them
every year from afar.  Some day!

And that's it for the hop pics.  I've been so immersed
in quilting this year (esp fabric buying, that the
novelty of it wasn't quite there like it usually is. 

 In the past I'd splurge on a fun book or pattern but
I just received my order from Martingale's $8 sale so
I had plenty of new books waiting at home.  It was
pretty warm out so it didn't even have that fall
quilty feel.  But, I did buy 28.5 yards of fabric
so that's something, and all clearance goodies.



In order of appearance:
1) 7 yds -- backing stash
2) 2.5 yds -- so pretty!  any American quilt?
3) 7 yds -- red/ivory quilt backing (hopefully this year still?)
4) 4 yds -- any fall quilt
5) 6 yds -- backing for my current Christmas quilt project

Not pictured is a red/white diagonal stripe (binding stash)
and a red fabric for my current 2 Christmas quilts that I'll
discuss in just a bit. 

But first, I finally took some finish pics of
Hudson Valley Palisades.


If you recall, this is the one that had the tension issues
 on the back (posted here) that led to my getting a new
longarm and all that.


The pattern, by Susan Ache, is Churned Around and
can be found in her book Start With Strips.


Her version is made up in shades of reds and white but,
as I often do, I changed it to my palette.
The [fated] quilting brings the whole fall leaves theme home.
I'm still a little sick over this one because it is just so pretty,
more so in person! It sat in limbo for 9 - 10 months
just needing binding (something I never do--while I
racked my brain for a way to fix it.  But it's done now
and as I mentioned, I will just keep it so that's that.

Back to current projects:


I haven't started quilting my Indian Popcorn [name?]
(seen in background) but it is loaded and ready.
I've started two Christmas quilts, both from a
pattern by Corey Yoder.  The second one is
completely cut out and waiting (above).


I spent my entire day, and I mean the entire day,
piecing these teeny little stars (fabric from shop hop)
and adding them to all 30 blocks.  A few points aren't
perfect but at that size, really, who can see it?


I'm just sharing this teaser pic for now; I'll have much
more to show next week.  I love what I do but the last
few weeks I've put some in very long work days in the
studio that have left me exhausted mentally
and physically--but in a good way at least!

Next week's to-do list:
1) Quilt Indian Popcorn (and settle on a name)

2) Finish Christmas quilt top #1 (name)

3) Start piecing Christmas quilt #2

Completely random, here's the cadet
posing bigtime at a recent formal meal:


What a cheese!
But those uniforms are so cool.

Until next week, happy quilting!

Comments

Kathryn T said…
Churned Around looks amazing, pity about back tension issues but if you get to keep it well that's great! The shop hop sounds amazing. I don't think I have ever bought that many yards of fabric in one go!
Vicki in MN said…
Sounds like you had a fabulous week! Lucky you finding some great fabrics at sale prices. Have another great week.
what pretty quilts - I have been gone for 2.5 weeks and trying to play catch up looking at blogs - i don't think I will catch up
grammajudyb said…
Loved seeing your pics of the shop hop and your fabric "haul"! You are one prolific quilter! I just keep plugging away at using up my stash. The fact that we don't have but a few very small quilt stores helps! They don't have lots of inventory and the selection is usually limited. Just batiks, or mostly western! I hope you get Indian Corn done and a Christmas quilt started. And some golf!!!
Michelle said…
Oh Cheree, so many beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing the eye candy.

Carolyn said…
Shop hops are so much fun! It looks like you had a great time. BTW, I love that churn dash quilt.
Your shop hop day sounds like fun and looks like you saw lots of good stuff! I love that leaf quilt, too. Who knew quilting would be mentally and physically exhausting?! (But I have been told that about longarming before.) Take care of yourself so you can keep doing it!
Home Sewn By Us said…
Hi Cheree! The quilt shop hop looks like so much fun. Someday, I'd love to do one. You picked up some sweet buys! Indian popcorn - isn't it called Masala? I think that's a literal variety of popcorn from India. Love the cadet modeling! Good luck with this week's list. You are inspiring me to get back to sewing. {{Hugs}} a bunch. ~smile~ Roseanne
You had such a fun filled week. Your quilt blocks look great. Beautiful vibrant colours.

-Soma
Linda said…
LOL on shop hop celebs! What do your T-shirts say? That leaf quilt you photographed is crazy pretty. Hudson Valley Palisades is beautiful. That Christmas tree is too cute. Oh my gosh, the cadet is so magazine model handsome! Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!
Kate said…
Wow! You packed a lot into one week! Churned Around turned out beautifully! Love the new Christmas Tree project. Happy stitching this weekend. Looks like you've got lots of fun projects to play with.
chrisknits said…
I wish the shop hops around here did lovely sampler styles. We get more modern style quilts that just aren't my thing. I need to work on buying backgrounds and not a ton of FQs which is what I usually do on hops. Small pieces that just sit in my stash because I don't have enough or too much. LOL
Needled Mom said…
The hop sounds like so much fun. Also, great inspiration. That leaf quilt is incredible! I’d love to do that one. You should do a SAL. Darling little Christmas tree. I hope the recent cold hasn’t put an end to the golfing season for you.
Some beautiful quilts! And your son is obviously a heart throb killer! Very handsome. Enjoy your week! Hugs