Welcoming Fall: Quilt Completions, Family and Shop Hop!

Happy Autumn!
I'm so excited to share all of my pictures and stories today!
No, I didn't win the lottery or anything but life has been
good, and quilts have been completed!  I also "visited"
quilt from a couple years back.  It's so fun to see your work
years later, especially in use, but I couldn't have planned
this one better!  Read on!


We are back from a weekend in Omaha visiting our son at
Creighton University.   We spent a lot of time watching football
together, attended Mass at the historic St. Cecilia's Cathedral
and took in a movie.
I win Mom of the Year for going to see "Rambo:  Last Blood".
If you're into that kind of thing, it was a decent movie.
I will say his cause was noble; and the theater was the
kind where every seat is a recliner and they bring you food
and drinks so that was a treat.

We stopped by my brother's new home, a "cottage" in the hills of
northeast KS .  My sister-in-law has a fun, creative way
way with flea market finds and antiques.  A story behind
every door, piece of furniture and lighting fixture.  I don't think
 I could ever do it but she has made it work!  The house handles
all the character you can throw at it by way of that decor without
it becoming clutter-y and overwhelming.
(I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a pic or two!)


"Apple Orchard" 2017

She happily showed me a quilt I gifted to them two years
ago.  It was one of the first off my long arm and it now
lays folded along the end of their bed.  Like everything
else in the house, it now has a story of its own to share.


Apple Orchard being quilted

One day she noticed the name on the quilt label and
made a neat connection:  all of that time spent looking for
the perfect place to build their home and they landed
on an apple orchard of an old homestead.
How fun is that?




Moving on to this beautiful season!
What better way to celebrate one of my favorite days
than with completing a couple of my favorite things!?!


Firstly, I finished up our granddaughter's quilt.


Gems for Gwyneth
42X54

She won't be here till next month but I thought her
her mom would like to get this into the nursery so
it has been delivered already.


The quilting design is one of happy flowers and leaves.


I have a little of the main-theme fabric left so there might
be a pillow, stuffed bunny or something sewn in the future.
I'm linking this one up on The Inquiring Quilter
Her theme for it is the celebration of love--I think
welcoming a new baby into the world fits this perfectly!

And now for the very timely completion of
fall quillt #1.

Autumn Shimmer
81X70

I finally got some decent pictures (though a few are still
a little too bright--ie, next two) so indulge me here, ok?



Throwing in a creative "extension" strip, I had just enough of this
Kansas Troubles fabric--used also on the border, and basically
my inspiration for all the block fabrics/colors--for the backing.
And when I say "just enough" I really mean it!
Also, I emptied a bolt!
*applause*


For the quilting, I went with the basic leaves; I maybe could
have gone a little darker with the thread than this gold but I'm 
still growing my thread collection.  It works well on the front,
though, and that's most important.  Actually, I kind of
like how it's showcased on the back.


Next week is the shop hop.  Next week!
Where did the time go?  I need to get more projects lined up
to shop for.  If I can get them started, even better.
And I need to get some fall cleaning done--it's always more
fun to come home to a clean house so that I can jump
right into working with all my new fabric finds.



So, off I go!
Happy fall quilting!


Comments

Debbie said…
You are absolutely bubbling! Great story about the apple orchard quilt. And your Gems is beautiful. Every fall I think of you and all your wonderful fall quilts. You never disappoint. Enjoy your shopping time.
Needled Mom said…
Our son and DIL were at Creighton for the weekend too.

Great story about Apple Orchard. Your fall colors in your quilts are wonderful. Beautiful finishes.
Joyful Quilter said…
Love the leaves in quilted into Autumn Shimmer - perfect design. And love the pieced back, so fun. Gems for Gwyneth is adorable, lucky little girl to be!
Great quilts. Love that the Apple orchard is in an apple orchard now. I haven't been on a shop hop in years.
Congratulations on the new baby. Such a happy addition that folks a family with love. Your fall quilts are wonderful! Thank you for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.