Working Toward Another Top Finish

I'm shooting for at least one more quilt top
finish before I head off on the shop hop later
this week.  I took just one sewing day this past
summer and was able to make the first 6 blocks
of a granny squares quilt from a jelly roll on hand. 



There was a good handful of strips in the 
collection that were unusable.  If you've kept up
with my love-hate relationship with pre-cuts, you'll
know that is just one reason why I'm working at
clearing them out of my stash.   I have just a few
left...and just maybe that won't increase
(very much?) with the shop hop.


My "Grandmother's Orchard" is made from
the above pattern on the Moda Bake Shop site,
though my version will be bigger.
(If you should, like me, decide to coordinate/cut your fabrics one set of
blocks at a time, see my cutting notes at the end of this post.  I chose
to do it this way because I needed more blocks and because I wanted
to get the best use--and coordination--with as little fabric waste as possible)

I found some time around working on a large
meal for 50 football players and a little more time
early on Friday before the game.
Then--a little icing--out of nowhere came
an open Saturday afternoon so I now have
a completed pile of 30 blocks, trimmed down to 9".
A 3" (finished) sashing to follow.


Having gotten this far, I'm realizing I will be
needing two borders for this quilt to bring it to
twin size--and for those fabrics I will need to look
through the clearance racks on the shop hop.
Once this top is complete, I'll be tweaking
my list of projects I would like to work on in
the coming quilt season.

With the great start I already have and the long-arm
ready, there may be some record-breaking going on!
(And I'm really ready to work with more seasonal colors!)

I should be back tomorrow with a finish but,
for now, I wish you a happy week of sewing
amid pleasant fall weather and coffee in hand.
(Or other hot drink of your choice. And not really
in your hand.  Just, you know, around.
But safely away from your fabric.)
Oh, and may your rotary blade be sharp.
(Because I seem to have real issues switching mine out in a timely manner.)


****************
Cutting notes for working with just one set of blocks at a time

For each set (two blocks ) you will need:
Fabric A (center square): one  5 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Fabric B (middle 4 squares):  two 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" and one 10 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Fabric C (outer squares):  two 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" and three 10 1/2" x 2 1/2"

If you are making a different number of blocks than in the pattern

Of the background fabric, you will need the following for each block:
Four 10 1/2" x 3"
Two 5 1/2" X 3"
Four 3" squares

Comments

Debbie said…
They look great!!!I am sure you will find that needed border fabric if you hunt !