Hi, I Have A Long-Arm Quilting Machine

I'm struggling to get the time to make
a great post about my super big surprise
so I'm just going to put it out there.

The short story is:
I just happened to see one at a price that I
absolutely could not refuse.
I'm not sure I ever thought I'd really get one,
and certainly not before we were empty-nesters!



So, for at least a couple years it will sit in our
sunroom.  Taken down to half-size, it's not too bad!
When I woke up the next morning,
I texted my sister (who also quilts):
"Hi, my name is Cheree and I
have a long-arm quilting machine."
(Would it be too weird to greet complete strangers this way?)
It was all just so unexpected!  So out of the blue!
Two weeks later, I'm not sure the realization
has even hit me but I guess I have my whole
life for that.


Some features:
18", up to king-size, stitch regulation,
pantograph laser, Phoenix frame, etc.
It has only been used for 4 quilts
so it is practically brand new.

Now, before you ask,
it did not come with a computer attachment--
I'm not convinced I want one.  I've been burned
by technology becoming outdated before.
(which is why I have a pricey little embroidery machine just sitting in my closet)
 I also don't feel like pushing a button to
let the machine go on its own
is going to feed my creativity very well.
(If I were doing it as a business,
things might be different!)


It's a little humbling to have learn a whole new way
of quilting--almost like starting over.
And maybe the biggest struggle is that I just
haven't had much time for it.
Fortunately it's quilt season for me
(even if football is taking most of my time!)
and I hope to learn very quickly!
I want to put an order in for some pantographs
soon, and maybe make some of my own--an
idea that I'm very excited about.

* * * * * * * * * * *
I do have a question for any long-arm owners
out there:
I have two quilts basted already
that I was planning on doing with my regular
sewing machine.  Is it possible to put these on the
frame somehow?  What if I attached each with the
basting in them and stitched all around the very edges
and then pulled the basting pins?  I didn't leave
enough excess around the quilt on the batting
or backing that everything says I need for a long-arm
but maybe I could at least quilt the main part there
and then move back to my other
machine for the borders?  Hopefully stitching
those layers together will avoid any layer/space
issues?  Help!


Comments

Congrats! Have fun learning how to use it.
Debbie said…
Well, well....congrats to you! Yes, there is a learning curve for any free motion quilting. I have a secret for you.....practice, practice, practice! I started on a long arm and moved to a sit down machine. So I don't have a huge amount of experience to help you. The biggest challenge in trying to quilt your prepped tops will be anchoring them onto the side.....not sure how your machine is set up. you might need to rig up some extended straps for securing the batt so it does not droop and sag on the sides.
I see LA often float the batt and top over the secured backing.....so that is why you need the extra on the backing.