Raining Geese, and I'm Starting Another Quilt

It's almost midnight and I should have been asleep a good
hour or so ago, especially considering I'm already
quite behind on sleep but...
suddenly, just now, out of the blue:  thunder.
Worth it.  I always love a good storm.

I can't believe it but, yep, I'm starting another one.


I love the unique design in the stars on this pattern,
the flip in darks/lights that creates that diagonal.

When piecing the first blocks, I couldn't help but
do a small double-take, along with doing a 
~thunder~
double-check, when putting those star points on.
They just seemed wrong.


They seemed sideways.
(sorry for the bad lighting--it's late!)

But when you know where it's all going, it's all good.
And that is one of the things I love about quilting.
I like trying out new patterns with 
their different arrangements and piecing.


Fall colors, some fall fabrics...will it be a definite "fall" quilt?
Or will it just be full of rich colors that work any time?

My plan for this one is to make it just a little smaller,
(pictured above is 84 x 96)
and I'm really hoping a border will work.
~thunder~
I'm a border person.
I like tidiness.  Framing.  Pulling it all together.
The drop-off of borderless quilts just...well, it's
like they leave me hanging.

Hmm.  Left hanging.  Oh!
What happened to the geese?
I tore through my fabric, very intent on finding the two borders within
my own stash.  I tried so many combinations I couldn't think or see
straight so I'd walk away, come back later and start again.
~thunder~
So, I enlisted the help of a friend--who had a good idea.


Make a border of geese.  All the way around.
Flying in circles just like they do as they circle
a wheat field before landing
(and proceeding to strip off the poor farmer's crop!)
~thunder~
It's a perfect remedy for the disappointment I felt when I
discovered just how small the center of this quilt would be.
No matter how hard I tried to make those two borders
finish this off, I just wasn't "done" with the center, though I'll
admit to already looking ahead mentally to the next quilt.

It's really funny when the right step just won't let you go. 
~thunder~
No matter what you want to work, another fabric
or design just keeps coming back to gnaw at you.
That's when you know it's the right decision
~rain begins to hit the windows~more thunder~
and you stop trying to kid yourself and give in.
~thunder, rain blowing harder on the windows~

Why doesn't it bother me that I'm stopping there and moving on
to my next quilt?  Maybe because I know for a fact I'll back to it?
I'll have time.  And I know I enjoy making geese.
See, right now I have two very open days
that scream for starting a new quilt.  So I did.
~rain suddenly letting up~
~thunder growing a little more distant~

And, yikes!  It's 12:43 am!
~yawn~

Comments

Debbie said…
love your colors for new one.....yes, those points do seem odd. But love the blocks. Good solution to your geese problem :)