Saturdays In the Garden: Update & Cucumber-Dill Dip

More bean-canning this weekend.  Also,
two of the kids were a HUGE help with the carrots,
one peeling and the other dicing.
I vacuum-packed 15 more bags which puts us at
at total of 27 in the freezer for winter soups.  Yay!

(But, I'm trying so, so hard to not think ahead to the cool fall months with longing.
That's a sure way for me to have a miserable summer.)

I'm estimating another 6 or 7 bags-worth are still
out there in the garden to be pulled next Saturday.


A few pics on how things are growing,
followed by a fantastic recipe.


We've now picked several cucumbers
and have quite a few more almost ready.



Three eggplant "fruits" are about 4".


Quite a few okra showing up.


A cantalope.


LOTS of butternut, acorn & etc squash.


And I've already picked 3 big tomatoes.
(not happy with how some of the leaves are looking--really need to get
the soaker hose on these as watering by sprinklers) can cause fungus, etc)

Here is my absolute favorite cucumber recipe,
esp with all of our cucumbers coming on and a huge
supply of dill and green onions, too.
Let me know if you try this out!

Cucumber-Dill Dip
Great for an appetizer and everyone loves it: serve it in a hollowed out bread bowl and put toasted cubes of dark rye and sour dough all around. Or baguette slices. In a hurry, just use club crackers but it's just not as good!  

1 pkg cream cheese, soft
1/2 c mayo
1 t lemon juice
3/4 t hot sauce (Louisiana style)
1/4 t salt
2 t fresh dill (or dry)
4 green onions, diced
2 med cucumbers (peeled, seeded, diced)

Cream mayo and cream cheese together. Stir in juice, hot sauce, salt and dill.
Add in green onions and cucumbers (you might want to pat cukes with paper towels to remove excess water). Chill well before serving.
 

Comments

Debbie said…
Wow...you are busy and have lots to can and freeze. Love cuke-dill spread, one of my favorites. I spread it on soft flour tortillas and roll up, chill and then slice. Great with soup instead of a sandwich.
Katy Cameron said…
Wow, that's quite the harvest, enjoy :o)
Wish my garden looked as good as yours! I'll try that recipe soon. Sounds delicious.